|07.26.11 at 4:14 pm ET|
According to the Seattle Times, veteran quarterback Matt Hasselbeck will not re-sign with the Seahawks after 10 seasons with the team. Hasselbeck, a Boston College graduate, is an unrestricted free agent and is reportedly interested in signing with the Cardinals, 49ers, Titans or Dolphins.
The 35-year-old quarterback completed 266 passes last season for 3,001 yards with 12 touchdowns and 17 interceptions. Hasselbeck threw four touchdowns on January 8 when the Seahawks shocked the defending champion Saints in last year’s playoffs.
|07.26.11 at 3:38 pm ET|
Bengals owner Mike Brown said that the team had no intention of trading quarterback Carson Palmer, who told the team that he would retire rather than continue to play for the team that drafted him first overall in 2003. Palmer has four years left on his contract, but Brown said the Bengals were ready to move on without him.
“I honestly like Carson Palmer,” Brown said. “He was a splendid player for us. He’s a good person. I wish him well. And he is retired. That is his choice. … I’m not expecting him to be back.”
To that end the team drafted Andy Dalton from TCU in the second round who will get a chance to win the starting job.
|07.26.11 at 2:58 pm ET|
According to a tweet from NFL Network legal analyst Gabe Feldman, the Brady vs. NFL antitrust suit is over after a settlement was filed with the federal court.
U.S. District Judges Susan Richard Nelson and David Doty were notified by both parties that a settlement had been reached, thus ending the suit that was led by Patriots quarterback Tom Brady due to alphabetical order.
The other plaintiffs of the case were Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Vincent Jackson, Ben Leber, Logan Mankins, Brian Robison, Osi Umenyiora, Mike Vrabel and Von Miller. Vrabel has since retired, while Miller was the lone player plaintiff to have never played an NFL game. Miller was chosen second overall by the Broncos in April’s draft.
With the antitrust suit settled, the only thing left to be done is for the players to recertify.
|07.26.11 at 2:11 pm ET|
It appears the Patriots will not be dealing with a potentially anticipated headache, as ESPN’s Adam Schefter tweeted Tuesday that guard Logan Mankins will sign his franchise tender and report to training camp when it opens Thursday. That means there will be no holdout for Mankins, who sat out the first half of last season over a contract dispute with the team.
Reports emerged last week that Mankins had wanted $10 million or for his unrestricted free agency to be granted in exchange for him dropping the Brady vs. NFL lawsuit, though his agent, Frank Bauer, denied such claims.
“Early this morning, Logan spoke with Bill and both are very happy, happy to get started. Logan is looking forward to being with his teammates and coaches, with a fresh start.”
The Patriots drafted Mankins with the 32nd overall pick of the 2005 draft. In his six-year career, he has made three Pro Bowls and was named an All-Pro in 2007 and 2010. He is among the longest-tenured Pats to have not won a Super Bowl with the team.
|07.26.11 at 2:00 pm ET|
A source has told WEEI.com’s Christopher Price that former Boston College fullback James McCluskey will sign with the Raiders as an undrafted free agent.
McCluskey, a native of Billerica, ran the ball five times as a senior for 25 yards and had three receptions for 32 yards. His best year came as a sophomore, when he rushed for 84 yards on 23 carries with one touchdown and added 123 yards on 19 receptions. He had four career touchdowns, three of which came in his freshman year.
|07.26.11 at 1:57 pm ET|
According to a tweet from ESPN’s Adam Schefter, the Cowboys plan on cutting running back Marion Barber III, adding to a growing list of Dallas players that will be looking for a new home.
In seven seasons, all with the Cowboys, Barber has 3,458 rushing yards and 47 touchdowns. A college teammate of Laurence Maroney, Barber was drafted in the fourth round of the 2005 draft.
The Cowboys will reportedly also cut offensive linemen Leonard Davis and Marc Columbo.
|07.26.11 at 1:17 pm ET|
The cuts come as a surprise to some, as Heap and Mason are the top two receivers in Baltimore franchise history. However, the move frees up $18.6 million in salary cap room for the Ravens, who now look to get involved in the NFL’s recently opened free agency period.
The team could still re-sign one or more of the four players to less expensive contracts. Mason told WBAL radio that he wants to stay in Baltimore.
“This is just another chip on my shoulder,” he said. “This is something else that fuels me and makes me try to be as productive as I can, whether that be in Baltimore — and I hope it is — or somewhere else.”