|Son of ex-Pats punter leads US Open||06.20.09 at 7:39 pm ET|
Connections to the Patriots are around every corner. Turns out that golfer Ricky Barnes, who posted a scorching -8 through two rounds at the US Open at Bethpage Black this weekend, is the son of former Pats’ punter Bruce Barnes.
The elder Barnes, quoted in this story about his son’s hot start at the Open, went to UCLA and was a 12th round pick of the Pats in the 1973 draft — the same draft that produced John Hannah, Sam Cunningham and Darryl Stingley. He punted for the Patriots for two seasons (1973 and 1974), and averaged 37.4 yards per punt. (Check out his complete stats here.)
Asked by a writer if he indeed played for the Pats, Barnes replied with a self-deprecating answer, “Back when they were no good. That’s why they drafted me.”
2013 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2013 NFL DRAFT
- USA Today: Gronkowski Dealing With Back Issue, Could Face (Another)...
- Patriots Sign Second-Round Pick Jamie Collins
- New England Patriots Links 5/17/13 - Hightower Understands Work Ethic...
- Rapoport: Gronkowski Forearm Surgery 'Imminent'; Likely To Be Monday
- Kyle Love Claimed By Jaguars; Joins Brandon Deaderick
- On Kyle Love
- Dwight Freeney's Dad Wants Him To Play For The Patriots