Rodney rips Favre a new one
|06.24.09 at 3:54 pm ET|
Former Patriots safety Rodney Harrison, who retired earlier this spring to begin a broadcasting career, called quarterback Brett Favre “selfish” in an interview Wednesday, and said he’d take former Pats QB Matt Cassel over Favre if he had to choose between the two.
Harrison, speaking on The Dan Patrick Show, said the perception of Favre around the league is that he’s “pretty selfish” for what he’s done the last couple of years.
“Each and every offseason bringing so much attention to himself, it’s just really a disappointment to hear that time and time again,” said Harrison, who announced his retirement from the NFL on June 3 after six seasons with the Patriots to take a job as an analyst for NBC Sports. “If you’ve been in the league 13, 14, 15 years or so you know if you want to play. The circus shouldn’t have to go on for three to four years. It’s just a disappointment.
“Then the media, they’re just so caught up and in love with Brett Favre. … It’s ridiculous because a lot of guys are doing good, positive things in the National Football League and those keep things keep getting overlooked.”
Favre, who spent 16 seasons in Green Bay, retired last spring. However, he infamously came out of retirement to play for the Jets, and has spent the bulk of this offseason negotiating another return to the game, this time with the Minnesota Vikings. Harrison said at this point, he’d take Cassel — “a young stud” — over Favre, whose interceptions are “a problem.”
“I’m taking Matt Cassel,” Harrison said when asked about the two. “He had a tremendous year, he has a tremendous upside. He can run. He can definitely manage the offense.”
It’s the second time in less than a month Harrison has taken a swipe at Favre. When he announced his retirement, he was asked if he could envision a “Brett Favre-type return” to the game at some point, but he quickly shut that down.
“There is a point in time where we all have to walk away from the game. I just thought it would be very disrespectful for me to come back and forth and not make my decision,” Harrison said at the time. “I respect people in National Football League enough not to put them on this joy ride — the back and forth, the ups and downs of am I coming back and will I not come back?”
Patrick asked Harrison if he would return to the game if the Patriots suffered some injuries in the secondary and coach Bill Belichick asked him to come back midseason — “the final five games,” Patrick proposed. Harrison said no way, even for $10 million.
“I would say on national TV, on Sunday night, that Bill Belichick needs to find a strong safety,” Harrison said with a chuckle, “because if he offers me $10 million, I’m still not coming out of retirement.”
Harrison also touched on some other topics, including whether or not Belichick now sees him as a member of the media when he calls.
“I don’t think so,” Harrison said. “I think we have a good personal relationship. We have a professional relationship, but we have a good personal relationship. He’s been through a lot with me, with injuries and negotiations. We’ve become friends.”
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Robert Kraft Comments on Handling of Tom Brady's Deflategate Suspension
- Freeney Would Add No Value to Patriots Defense
- Can Malcom Brown Make 2nd-Year Jump for Patriots?
- Is Cannon Safe on Patriots' Roster?
- Can Garoppolo Carry Patriots in Brady's Absence?
- Latest on Patriots WR Danny Amendola's Injury
- Patriots Players on Notice After 2016 Offseason Roster Moves