|Report: Pats sign Edelman||07.16.09 at 7:58 pm ET|
Reports indicate the Patriots have come to an agreement with seventh-round pick Julian Edelman on a four-year contract.
The news was first reported by Chris Gasper of The Boston Globe.
That brings the total number of draft picks New England has signed to seven — Edelman joins Darius Butler, Rich Ohrnberger, Brandon Tate, Myron Pryor, Darryl Richard and Sebastian Vollmer as having deals done. In addition, the Patriots are expected to announce they have reached a deal with Ron Brace by the end of the week.
Edelman was the 232nd player taken in the 2009 draft, and the 6-foot, 198-pounder is an intriguing prospect. As quarterback at Kent State, he passed for 1,820 yards as a senior and rushed for 1,370. However, he saw most of his time during rookie minicamp, the organized team activities and full squad workouts as a wide receiver and return specialist.
“This little guy was an exciting player in college,” said Patriots Director of Player Personnel Nick Caserio said of Edelman when he was asked about the 23-year-old back in the spring. “He has a long way to go, but he’s very receptive from a coaching standpoint.
“He’s football smart — he loves football.”
2013 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2013 NFL DRAFT
- Patriots Sign Fourth Round Pick Josh Boyce
- Report: Patriots Restructure Julian Edelman's Contract
- New England Patriots Links 5/24/13 - Chandler Jones 'Ramping Up' for Year...
- Bill Belichick and The Greatest Coaches Ever
- New England Patriots Links 5/23/13 - Amendola, Jenkins Top Receivers at...
- Patriots Claim OT Kevin Haslam; Waive R.J. Mattes
- Patriots Spend League High $140K In Guaranteed Money For UDFAs