Rodney to Brady: ‘Take off the skirt’
|10.04.09 at 10:14 pm ET|
Former Patriots safety Rodney Harrison took his former teammate Tom Brady to task on national television on Sunday night. During halftime of the “Football Night in America” telecast on NBC, Harrison told Brady to “Take off the skirt and put on some slacks. Toughen up.”
Harrison was referring to the pointing Brady did after Terrell Suggs hit his right knee in the second quarter of Sunday’s game. Suggs was flagged for roughing the quarterback and the Patriots went in for a subsequent touchdown.
After the game, Ray Lewis was critical of the officiating and said that referees are doing too much to protect the quarterback.
“Without totally going off the wall here, it’s embarrassing to the game,” Lewis said. “You can’t do that. Brady’s good enough to make a play. Let him make his own play. You can’t end the play like that and then throw the flag. No, man. The embarrassing part is when he understands that, and he walks up to one of us and says, ‘Oh, that was a cheap one.’
“That’s not football. And that’s the embarrassing part about it. Two great teams going at it, let them go at it. But you can’t stop drives like that, you can’t throw flags and say, ‘Oh, you touched the quarterback.’ Put flags on them. Put a red buzzer on them, so if we touch them, they’re down. But you can’t do that, when a guy’s on the ground, it’s over.
“Both of the drives they got touchdowns on ‘ personal fouls that kept the drives going. That’s embarrassing to our game. Fine me, do whatever you please. I’m not speaking against anybody. It’s embarrassing, for them to treat one person on the football field different than everybody else.”
Albert Breer of the Sporting News has the full story.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know