Meriweather wins AFC weekly honor
|10.28.09 at 10:38 am ET|
The NFL announced this morning that Patriots safety Brandon Meriweather has been named the AFC Defensive Player of the Week for his performance in Sunday’s 35-7 victory against Tampa Bay.
It is the first time that Meriweather has earned the honor. Meriweather is the first New England defensive player to win the award since Asante Samuel earned the award in Week 12 of the 2007 season.
Meriweather had two interceptions within the first six minutes of the game. He set the tone for New England when he intercepted a Tampa Bay pass and returned it 39 yards for a touchdown to end Tampa Bay’s first drive. The Buccaneers drove to the New England 33-yard line on the next series before Meriweather struck again with his second interception. His play helped limit Tampa Bay to 151 net yards passing.
It is the third time in 2009 that the Patriots have been honored with an AFC Player of the Week award. QB Tom Brady was named AFC Offensive Player of the Week following Week 1 and Week 6.
2013 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2013 NFL DRAFT
- New England Patriots Links 6/19/13 - Patriots Dominate on First Down
- Police Searched Aaron Hernandez' Home For More than Two Hours
- Aaron Hernandez Questioned, Has Home Searched after Killing
- Report: Rob Gronkowski Back Surgery Completed and Successful
- Fantasy Outlook: Patriots RB Stevan Ridley
- The Top 20 Most Memorable Patriots Moments of 2012: Number 5
- New England Patriots Links 6/18/13 - Shane Vereen: Offense Has 'Sour...