Welker ‘not surprised’ Pats being written off
|12.02.09 at 10:52 pm ET|
FOXBORO — Wes Welker has heard the whispers ever since Monday night.
He’s heard critics saying this Patriots team doesn’t have the mettle to match up with the elite teams of the NFL.
Many times athletes and coaches will dispute that and say all that matters is what the players and coaches inside the locker room say.
But as those who have tried to cover him will tell you, Wes Welker is not like most players. And on Wednesday he admitted he is not surprised some people have written off the Patriots as a viable Super Bowl contender after Monday’s 38-17 loss to the 11-0 Saints.
“No, I’m not surprised at all, not with the way we’ve been playing,” Welker said. “We have a lot of things we have to take care of and that’s the bottom line and we realize that and we’ve just got to move forward from it.”
Again on Wednesday, Bill Belichick had a heart-to-heart with the team reminding them they can’t erase Monday – they can only learn from it.
“We talked about it,” Welker said. “We have to move on and get ready for Miami. We can’t have a hangover or anything like that. We have to move on and make sure that Miami is on the forefront, get ready for them and make sure we’re taking care of business.”
If the Patriots are going to get to the championship levels of the NFL playoffs, they’re going to need to start with their attitude. And right now, Welker admits, the Pats are lacking that quality big-time.
“Not with the way we’ve been playing lately, no,” Welker said. “We need to make sure we’re coming out, preparing and playing the way we need to and finishing off games and all those other things that take play with good football teams. The answer to that question right now is no but hopefully we get to that point.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned
- President Donald Trump to Host Patriots at White House on April 19
- Darrelle Revis Reportedly Expected to Return to Patriots If He Plays Next...
- Biggest Needs New England Patriots Have Yet to Address This Offseason
- Super Bowl 49 Champion Bryan Stork Retires from NFL at 26 Years Old
- Tom Brady Super Bowl 51 Jersey Theft Timeline Revealed on Video