Former Pats DB Smith continues to climb coaching ladder
|02.01.10 at 2:06 pm ET|
Former Patriots defensive back Otis Smith was named the defensive quality control coach in Kansas City on Monday after previously working as assistant secondary coach with Philadelphia (2008), as well as stints as an NFL minority fellowship coach with Philadelphia (2007) and the Patriots (2006).
It’s a safe bet that many folks in New England are happy to see Smith progress up the coaching ladder. Smith and Patriots coach Bill Belichick go back a long time ‘ they first hooked up in 1996 when Belichick was an assistant in New England. Smith followed Belichick to the Jets the following season, and the veteran defensive back joined Belichick to New England when he became the head coach in 2000, where he spent three seasons with the Patriots.
In fact, his roots run so deep with Belichick that in May 2005 when he was ready to retire, he signed a one-day contract with New England before he decided to call it a career.
“When I think about Otis Smith, a few things come to mind immediately: his incredible work ethic, the respect he earned as a result of the leadership he brought to the team and his production in some of our biggest games,” Belichick said in a statement when Smith announced his retirement. “Otis helped the Patriots win a championship and he will always be respected and appreciated for that as well as for his professional approach to the job.”
Smith, an undrafted free agent out of Missouri, retired with 29 career interceptions, seven touchdowns and 525 tackles in 180 career games. He played 56 games in his two stints for the Patriots, starting 48 at cornerback. He also played for Philadelphia and Detroit.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Mike Gillislee's Patriots Contract Offer Sheet Declined by Bills
- Malcolm Butler Reportedly 'Highly Unlikely' to Be Traded Despite Saints...
- Patriots Schedule 2017-18: Game-by-Game Predictions for the Entire Season
- 2017 New England Patriots Schedule: Full Listing of Dates, Times and TV...
- Chiefs vs. Patriots to Open 2017 NFL Regular Season Schedule in...
- Patriots Favored in Updated Super Bowl 52 Odds Ahead of 2017 NFL Draft
- After Aaron Hernandez Suicide, Victim's Family Speaks: 'I Just Started...