CFL pass-rusher on Pats’ radar?
|02.02.10 at 4:19 pm ET|
According to a Tweet this morning from his agent Paul Sheehy, defensive end Ricky Foley ‘ who had 12 sacks last season in the Canadian Football League ‘ is slated to visit with the Patriots some time over the next three days.
Foley, who also reportedly has sit-downs scheduled with the Jets and Rams, is a 27-year-old defensive end and situational pass rusher who has played for the British Columbia Lions since 2006. A 6-foot-2, 245-pounder out of Toronto’s York University, he’s had 20 sacks in his last four seasons in the CFL. His performance last season earned him the “Most Outstanding Canadian” honors at the Gibson’s Finest CFL Player Awards. (Check out a brief clip of him in action and an interview here.)
It wouldn’t be the first time that an AFC East team has gone north of the border looking for defensive line talent. Cameron Wake, an undrafted free agent out of Penn State, ended up playing for BC in 2007 and 2008 and came away with 39 sacks in two years, winning CFL Defensive Player of the Year honors both seasons. (Ironically, he supplanted Foley in BC’s starting lineup.) Wake parlayed that into a four-year, $4.9 million deal ‘ including a $1 million signing bonus ‘ with Miami. He finished the 2009 season with the Dolphins with 23 tackles and 5.5 sacks.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Anthony Johnson Released by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Jacoby Brissett, Julian Edelman, LeGarrette Blount Post-Week 3 Fantasy...
- Despite Injuries, Patriots Already September's Biggest Winners in the NFL