Pats to meet with UT safety Thomas next week
|03.17.10 at 4:06 pm ET|
A league source has confirmed to WEEI.com that the Patriots have scheduled a pre-draft meeting with Texas safety Earl Thomas next week in Austin, but no workout is scheduled with Thomas as of yet.
Thomas is considered one of the elite defensive backs available this year (in the latest WEEI.com mock draft, Thomas is slated to go 13th overall to the 49ers). The 5-foot-10, 195-pounder started all 27 games of his college career, finishing with 149 tackles, and 10 interceptions. As a sophomore last season, he set a Texas record with eight interceptions, and his two interception returns for touchdowns this season also set a school record.
Thomas’ ball skills lead some to believe he might be able to make the transition from safety to cornerback in the NFL, a move he would welcome.
“Well, I think of myself as a defensive back playing corner, safety, strong safety or wherever they need me — even in the slot. So wherever they have me, I’ll play,” he said last month at the NFL Combine. “I’m comfortable at corner, safety, nickel. It really doesn’t matter. I’m just a ballplayer ready to play.”
- Belichick on Ridley, Faulk, and Ozzie Newsome
- The Best Around
- New England Patriots Links 12/06/13 - Sunday Spotlight Will Have Pats'...
- Alfonzo Dennard's Sentence Extended
- New England Patriots resign WR Austin Collie
- New England Patriots Links 12/05/13 - Alfonzo Dennard to Find Out Legal...
- 2013 Week 13 Patriots Power Rankings