Pats to meet with UT safety Thomas next week
|03.17.10 at 4:06 pm ET|
A league source has confirmed to WEEI.com that the Patriots have scheduled a pre-draft meeting with Texas safety Earl Thomas next week in Austin, but no workout is scheduled with Thomas as of yet.
Thomas is considered one of the elite defensive backs available this year (in the latest WEEI.com mock draft, Thomas is slated to go 13th overall to the 49ers). The 5-foot-10, 195-pounder started all 27 games of his college career, finishing with 149 tackles, and 10 interceptions. As a sophomore last season, he set a Texas record with eight interceptions, and his two interception returns for touchdowns this season also set a school record.
Thomas’ ball skills lead some to believe he might be able to make the transition from safety to cornerback in the NFL, a move he would welcome.
“Well, I think of myself as a defensive back playing corner, safety, strong safety or wherever they need me ‘ even in the slot. So wherever they have me, I’ll play,” he said last month at the NFL Combine. “I’m comfortable at corner, safety, nickel. It really doesn’t matter. I’m just a ballplayer ready to play.”
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Patriots Star Danny Amendola's Injuries
- Why Collins Is Patriots' Most Important 2017 Free Agent
- Biggest Issues the Patriots Will Face in 2016 Season
- Super Bowl Odds: Patriots Betting Favorites Despite Brady Suspension
- Position Battles to Watch in Patriots Training Camp
- Does Brissett Have a Chance to Be Patriots Week 1 Starter?
- Brady Is Under Too Much Pressure, and It Could Crush Pats Dynasty