Pats to meet with UT safety Thomas next week
|03.17.10 at 4:06 pm ET|
A league source has confirmed to WEEI.com that the Patriots have scheduled a pre-draft meeting with Texas safety Earl Thomas next week in Austin, but no workout is scheduled with Thomas as of yet.
Thomas is considered one of the elite defensive backs available this year (in the latest WEEI.com mock draft, Thomas is slated to go 13th overall to the 49ers). The 5-foot-10, 195-pounder started all 27 games of his college career, finishing with 149 tackles, and 10 interceptions. As a sophomore last season, he set a Texas record with eight interceptions, and his two interception returns for touchdowns this season also set a school record.
Thomas’ ball skills lead some to believe he might be able to make the transition from safety to cornerback in the NFL, a move he would welcome.
“Well, I think of myself as a defensive back playing corner, safety, strong safety or wherever they need me ‘ even in the slot. So wherever they have me, I’ll play,” he said last month at the NFL Combine. “I’m comfortable at corner, safety, nickel. It really doesn’t matter. I’m just a ballplayer ready to play.”
2017 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2017 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Deatrich Wise Jr NFL Draft 2017: Scouting Report for New England...
- Brandin Cooks' Contract Option Reportedly Exercised by Patriots
- Derek Rivers Becomes 1st Player Drafted by Super Bowl Champion Patriots...
- Mike Gillislee's Patriots Contract Offer Sheet Declined by Bills
- Malcolm Butler Reportedly 'Highly Unlikely' to Be Traded Despite Saints...
- Patriots Schedule 2017-18: Game-by-Game Predictions for the Entire Season
- 2017 New England Patriots Schedule: Full Listing of Dates, Times and TV...