|Pats to meet with UT safety Thomas next week||03.17.10 at 4:06 pm ET|
A league source has confirmed to WEEI.com that the Patriots have scheduled a pre-draft meeting with Texas safety Earl Thomas next week in Austin, but no workout is scheduled with Thomas as of yet.
Thomas is considered one of the elite defensive backs available this year (in the latest WEEI.com mock draft, Thomas is slated to go 13th overall to the 49ers). The 5-foot-10, 195-pounder started all 27 games of his college career, finishing with 149 tackles, and 10 interceptions. As a sophomore last season, he set a Texas record with eight interceptions, and his two interception returns for touchdowns this season also set a school record.
Thomas’ ball skills lead some to believe he might be able to make the transition from safety to cornerback in the NFL, a move he would welcome.
“Well, I think of myself as a defensive back playing corner, safety, strong safety or wherever they need me — even in the slot. So wherever they have me, I’ll play,” he said last month at the NFL Combine. “I’m comfortable at corner, safety, nickel. It really doesn’t matter. I’m just a ballplayer ready to play.”
2013 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2013 NFL DRAFT
- New England Patriots Links 5/23/13 - Amendola, Jenkins Top Receivers at...
- Patriots Claim OT Kevin Haslam; Waive R.J. Mattes
- Patriots Spend League High $140K In Guaranteed Money For UDFAs
- New England Patriots Links 5/22/13 - Talib: OTAs About 'Getting Down the...
- The Potential Importance Of Jake Ballard
- Four Missing From Second Day Of Patriots OTAs
- The Top 20 Most Memorable Patriots Moments of 2012: Number 8