Pats to meet with UT safety Thomas next week
|03.17.10 at 4:06 pm ET|
A league source has confirmed to WEEI.com that the Patriots have scheduled a pre-draft meeting with Texas safety Earl Thomas next week in Austin, but no workout is scheduled with Thomas as of yet.
Thomas is considered one of the elite defensive backs available this year (in the latest WEEI.com mock draft, Thomas is slated to go 13th overall to the 49ers). The 5-foot-10, 195-pounder started all 27 games of his college career, finishing with 149 tackles, and 10 interceptions. As a sophomore last season, he set a Texas record with eight interceptions, and his two interception returns for touchdowns this season also set a school record.
Thomas’ ball skills lead some to believe he might be able to make the transition from safety to cornerback in the NFL, a move he would welcome.
“Well, I think of myself as a defensive back playing corner, safety, strong safety or wherever they need me ‘ even in the slot. So wherever they have me, I’ll play,” he said last month at the NFL Combine. “I’m comfortable at corner, safety, nickel. It really doesn’t matter. I’m just a ballplayer ready to play.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Biggest Needs New England Patriots Have Yet to Address This Offseason
- Super Bowl 49 Champion Bryan Stork Retires from NFL at 26 Years Old
- Tom Brady Super Bowl 51 Jersey Theft Timeline Revealed on Video
- Photos of Tom Brady's Previously Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Revealed
- New England Patriots: Updated Draft Big Board After First Wave of Free...
- Tyler Gaffney Released by New England Patriots
- Tom Brady Issues Statement on Recovery of Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey