Jonathan Kraft on D&C: Pats on way to being ‘materially better’
|03.25.10 at 9:38 am ET|
Patriots president Jonathan Kraft made an appearance on the Dennis & Callahan show Thursday morning and discussed the team’s recent maneuverings. “I don’t think the offseason is over,” Kraft said. “I think we’re definitely more secure in the core unit of our team. … We had a number of people on our team who were priorities, and we’ve taken care of them, which I think leads us to believe we’re in a better place. … I think we are on our way to having a materially better team than we did at the end of last season.”
Kraft said the Patriots are in good position to make some key additions to the roster, starting with a deep draft for which the team is stocked with a dozen picks. “We always felt that this draft would be a huge draft,” he said, noting the labor uncertainty has led to more quality collegians declaring early. Additionally, Kraft added, “I think between June and the start of the season, you will probably see significantly more players getting released with veteran-type experience than you have in the past.”
Asked about contract talks with Tom Brady, Kraft echoed comments made by his father earlier this week at the NFL owners meetings. “Tom’s going to be a part of this football team, and I think if you’re a fan of the team, that’s what you want to take away from it,” Kraft said. “I think both sides want to be together, and it’s just a matter of working out the details in a way that’s good for both sides in a time frame that’s good for both sides. The bottom line is he’s going to be the quarterback of the New England Patriots.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...
- Marcus Cannon, Patriots Agree to New Contract: Latest Details and...
- Tom Brady Became 5th QB in NFL History to Throw for at Least 60,000 Yards
- Patriots vs. Jets: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Recovery from Back...
- Julian Edelman Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Foot and Return