Jonathan Kraft on D&C: Pats on way to being ‘materially better’
|03.25.10 at 9:38 am ET|
Patriots president Jonathan Kraft made an appearance on the Dennis & Callahan show Thursday morning and discussed the team’s recent maneuverings. “I don’t think the offseason is over,” Kraft said. “I think we’re definitely more secure in the core unit of our team. … We had a number of people on our team who were priorities, and we’ve taken care of them, which I think leads us to believe we’re in a better place. … I think we are on our way to having a materially better team than we did at the end of last season.”
Kraft said the Patriots are in good position to make some key additions to the roster, starting with a deep draft for which the team is stocked with a dozen picks. “We always felt that this draft would be a huge draft,” he said, noting the labor uncertainty has led to more quality collegians declaring early. Additionally, Kraft added, “I think between June and the start of the season, you will probably see significantly more players getting released with veteran-type experience than you have in the past.”
Asked about contract talks with Tom Brady, Kraft echoed comments made by his father earlier this week at the NFL owners meetings. “Tom’s going to be a part of this football team, and I think if you’re a fan of the team, that’s what you want to take away from it,” Kraft said. “I think both sides want to be together, and it’s just a matter of working out the details in a way that’s good for both sides in a time frame that’s good for both sides. The bottom line is he’s going to be the quarterback of the New England Patriots.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Anthony Johnson Released by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Jacoby Brissett, Julian Edelman, LeGarrette Blount Post-Week 3 Fantasy...
- Despite Injuries, Patriots Already September's Biggest Winners in the NFL