Draft weekend was ‘nerve-wracking’ experience for Koppen
|03.26.10 at 12:53 am ET|
FOXBORO ‘ Patriots center Dan Koppen can remember his draft day experience like it was yesterday.
The Boston College offensive lineman didn’t hear his name called until the fifth round of the 2003 draft ‘ the second day of the draft ‘ and when he did, he was all by himself, upstairs at his family’s house in Pennsylvania ‘because nobody wanted to be by me that day,’ he recalled Thursday.
‘It was kind of crazy,’ he recalled Thursday. ‘I saw my name on the bottom line at first ‘ actually, I was upstairs and we had a satellite upstairs and cable downstairs and there was a delay, so I heard my family go crazy downstairs, because I was upstairs alone, because nobody wanted to be by me that day. I heard them yell and then I saw it, and then the phone rang. So it was kind of a crazy day.’
For Koppen, it was a ‘nerve-wracking’ process.
‘I had a chance to play golf that morning, so I got done with the round and my name still wasn’t called, so that wasn’t the greatest,’ he said. ‘It’s a long process, but really, it doesn’t matter where you’re drafted. It’s what you do when you get here and how you’re able to contribute to the team.
‘For guys that are going through it, just take it for what it is. Enjoy it. It’s the only time you’re going to go through it.’
For more from Koppen, check out our story here on his thoughts about the leadership in the New England locker room, as well as the pride he and the rest of the offensive line have taken in their consistency and durability over the last five seasons.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Says He Hopes Martellus Bennett 'Breaks the Bank' in Free...
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...