Draft weekend was ‘nerve-wracking’ experience for Koppen
|03.26.10 at 12:53 am ET|
FOXBORO ‘ Patriots center Dan Koppen can remember his draft day experience like it was yesterday.
The Boston College offensive lineman didn’t hear his name called until the fifth round of the 2003 draft ‘ the second day of the draft ‘ and when he did, he was all by himself, upstairs at his family’s house in Pennsylvania ‘because nobody wanted to be by me that day,’ he recalled Thursday.
‘It was kind of crazy,’ he recalled Thursday. ‘I saw my name on the bottom line at first ‘ actually, I was upstairs and we had a satellite upstairs and cable downstairs and there was a delay, so I heard my family go crazy downstairs, because I was upstairs alone, because nobody wanted to be by me that day. I heard them yell and then I saw it, and then the phone rang. So it was kind of a crazy day.’
For Koppen, it was a ‘nerve-wracking’ process.
‘I had a chance to play golf that morning, so I got done with the round and my name still wasn’t called, so that wasn’t the greatest,’ he said. ‘It’s a long process, but really, it doesn’t matter where you’re drafted. It’s what you do when you get here and how you’re able to contribute to the team.
‘For guys that are going through it, just take it for what it is. Enjoy it. It’s the only time you’re going to go through it.’
For more from Koppen, check out our story here on his thoughts about the leadership in the New England locker room, as well as the pride he and the rest of the offensive line have taken in their consistency and durability over the last five seasons.
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Why Jamie Collins Is the New England Patriots' Most Important 2017 Free...
- Biggest Issues the Patriots Will Face in 2016 Season
- Super Bowl Odds: Patriots Betting Favorites Despite Brady Suspension
- Position Battles to Watch in Patriots Training Camp
- Does Brissett Have a Chance to Be Patriots Week 1 Starter?
- Brady Is Under Too Much Pressure, and It Could Crush Pats Dynasty
- Most Prominent Patriots on the Roster Bubble