|McNabb deal has ramifications for Patriots||04.04.10 at 8:47 pm ET|
As far-fetched as it sounds, the reported deal that sends Philadelphia quarterback Donovan McNabb to the Redskins for a pair of draft picks does have consequences for the Patriots.
McNabb had been rumored to be on the trading block for some time, with one of his possible landing spots being Oakland — where he would have presumably been the replacement for the corpulent JaMarcus Russell (or even journeyman Bruce Gradkowski). Prior to the 2009 season, New England obtained the Raiders’ No. 1 pick in 2011 for Richard Seymour, so the Patriots have a great interest in making sure Oakland finishes … how shall we put this delicately … as poorly as possible this upcoming season.
If McNabb was dealt to the Raiders, there was an excellent chance that the Oakland offense would get demonstrably better in 2010. McNabb is not the Pro Bowl quarterback he used to be, but would still be the best quarterback to play for the Raiders since Rich Gannon led them to Super Bowl XXXVII, and would represent a sizable upgrade from Russell or Gradkowski.
That’s not to say Oakland still couldn’t upgrade the quarterback position via the draft (either by selecting a collegian or making a deal for someone like the suddenly expendable Jason Campbell), but the bottom line for the Patriots is that with McNabb in Washington and Russell or Gradkowski still calling signals in Oakland, that No. 1 pick continues to look like a good one for New England.
2013 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2013 NFL DRAFT
- Patriots Sign Fourth Round Pick Josh Boyce
- Report: Patriots Restructure Julian Edelman's Contract
- New England Patriots Links 5/24/13 - Chandler Jones 'Ramping Up' for Year...
- Bill Belichick and The Greatest Coaches Ever
- New England Patriots Links 5/23/13 - Amendola, Jenkins Top Receivers at...
- Patriots Claim OT Kevin Haslam; Waive R.J. Mattes
- Patriots Spend League High $140K In Guaranteed Money For UDFAs