Source: No pre-draft visit to Foxboro for UCLA’s Price
|04.05.10 at 6:00 am ET|
A league source said there is no pre-draft visit to Foxboro scheduled for UCLA defensive tackle Brian Price. The source did say there was an initial trip scheduled, but with time growing short between now and the NFL draft, the two sides couldn’t make it fit logistically.
However, according to Price’s agent, Chuck Price, the Patriots have expressed interest in the 20-year-old. ‘There was interest in getting him there for a pre-draft visit,’ said his agent.
Gil Brandt of NFL.com reported Friday that Price had a pre-draft visit lined up with New England.
While he doesn’t have the pre-draft buzz of some other defensive tackles (including Ndamukong Suh or Gerald McCoy), Price’s stock has risen as the draft draws closer ‘ he’s recently visited with Philadelphia, New Orleans, Tampa Bay and San Diego, and has been projected as a first-rounder by many.
The 6-foot-1, 301-pounder was named the Pac-10 Defensive Player of the Year last season, recording 48 tackles, 23-1/2 for losses and seven sacks. Known as an explosive player, at the combine, the 20-year-old hit 34 reps and ran the 40-yard dash in 5.12 seconds. He also posted a 28-1/2-inch vertical leap and an 8-foot broad jump.
Price, who was a was a two-time all-conference lineman, a third-team All-America selection by The Associated Press and a first- or second-team choice on several other All-America teams, said the decision to come out a year early wasn’t a difficult one.
‘I wanted to compete against the best. I wanted to prove that my name should be mentioned among the best,’ Price said at the combine. ‘That’s why I came out.’
‘I want what’s best for Brian Price,’ UCLA coach Rick Neuheisel told the Los Angeles Daily News after Bruins’ finale last December. ‘Obviously, we would love to have him back ‘ he’s a big-time football player ‘ but if it’s a good decision for Brian and his family to move on, we wish him the very best.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Jacoby Brissett, Julian Edelman, LeGarrette Blount Post-Week 3 Fantasy...
- Despite Injuries, Patriots Already September's Biggest Winners in the NFL
- Houston Texans vs. New England Patriots Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL Pick