Source: Patriots will work out UConn punter Cullen
|04.06.10 at 12:05 pm ET|
The Patriots are going to hold a private workout with Connecticut punter Desi Cullen Wednesday in Hartford, according to a league source.
Cullen, a 23-year-old out of Louisville, averaged 42.8 yards per punt this past season (good 28th in the country). A 6-foot, 201-pounder, he’s best described as a combo guy who can punt (he was a semifinalist for the Ray Guy Award), handle kickoff duties for the Huskies, as well as hold for field goals and kick some long field goals. (Here’s a quick look at some of his collegiate highlights.)
Cullen gained a measure of notoriety last season after he gave an emotional speech in the wake of the death of teammate Jasper Howard. (He led a prayer service the next evening at a candlelight memorial.) A popular player at UConn who gave himself the self-deprecating nickname ‘The Kentucky Hammer,’ the Huskies coaching staff clearly thinks the world of Cullen ‘ he was the first specialist named a team captain in UConn coach Randy Edsall’s 11-year tenure.
‘Both my sons draw pictures of Desi at school ‘ and not dad ‘ so my family has really embraced him,’ Connecticut’s special teams coordinator Lyndon Johnson told reporters last season. ‘He’s not just a player anymore for me. He is part of my family and he always will be.’
According to several draft experts, there are few punters worthy of draft consideration, but Cullen likely part of a group that includes Michigan’s Zoltan Mesko and East Carolina’s Matt Dodge, along with Fresno State’s Robert Malone and Virginia Tech’s Brent Bowden. (The Patriots have already contacted Mesko about a workout, according to scout.com.)
Cullen also has private workouts scheduled with the 49ers and Eagles this week.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned
- President Donald Trump to Host Patriots at White House on April 19
- Darrelle Revis Reportedly Expected to Return to Patriots If He Plays Next...
- Biggest Needs New England Patriots Have Yet to Address This Offseason
- Super Bowl 49 Champion Bryan Stork Retires from NFL at 26 Years Old
- Tom Brady Super Bowl 51 Jersey Theft Timeline Revealed on Video