Faulk remembers draft day
|04.08.10 at 12:04 pm ET|
FOXBORO ‘ Even now, 11 years later, Kevin Faulk can still recall the slight.
One of the premier backs in the SEC, the Louisiana State product was told by several teams that he would be a first-round pick when their choice came up in the 1999 NFL Draft. But the first round came and went, and Faulk was still on the board. He remembers being more than a little upset.
‘Of course. Why wouldn’t I be? You go on visits, you get told you’re a first-round pick,’ he said Thursday morning after a workout at Gillette Stadium. ‘You get told by a couple of teams, ‘We’re going to draft you. We’re going to draft you with our pick.’
‘The team I love the most, standing on the surface right now, told me we’ve got two picks in the first round, and we’re going to take you with one of them. Two picks came, and I wasn’t taken,’ Faulk said of the Patriots, who took center Damien Woody and linebacker Andy Katzenmoyer. ‘But it’s like I said, it’s like [a] marriage. You’re mad one day, and then, it’s like, ‘OK, here I am. Here’s what I have to do.’’
Faulk did eventually get the phone call from New England personnel chief Bobby Grier ‘ he was taken in the second round with the No. 46 pick overall ‘ while he was out on a four-wheeler.
‘I was on a four-wheeler in the dirt way out in the country,’ he remembered with a smile. ‘Got the phone call, and I had to come.’
Asked what sort of advice he’d give players who might be suffering from a case of nerves on draft weekend nerves, Faulk said ‘just be normal.’
‘Do what you normally do. It’s OK to watch the draft, but don’t just sit there preparing and waiting for a phone call. You’re going to be nervous the whole day,’ he said. ‘Understand that you can’t do anything those days, because everything you’ve done so far to that point is what’s going to get you drafted. You can’t do anything that day, so just be normal.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Joe Mixon Reportedly Removed from Patriots' Draft Board Due to Assault...
- Roger Goodell to Attend Patriots Home Opener, 1st Foxboro Trip Since...
- Robert Kraft 'Would Love' for Darrelle Revis to Return to Patriots
- Ideal Second-Round Fits for New England Patriots in 2017 NFL Draft
- Robert Kraft Discusses Restricted Free-Agent Malcolm Butler's Contract...
- Tom Brady Told Robert Kraft He'd Like to Play 6-7 More NFL Seasons
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text