Pioli talks a little about his experience with the Patriots
|04.17.10 at 1:15 am ET|
Former Patriots GM Scott Pioli took charge in Kansas City after the 2008 season, and in a relatively short time, has managed to put many of the techniques he used in New England into place with the Chiefs, including his overall team-building approach. In a Saturday story from the Kansas City Star, Pioli says of pre-draft player evaluation: ‘This is what I do,’ and reassured Chiefs that last year’s first-round pick, defensive lineman Tyson Jackson ‘ who struggled at times as a rookie would be OK, comparing him to a young Richard Seymour when Seymour was with the Patriots.
‘Based on experience, the defensive-line position is one of those positions you do a better job of judging in the second season than you do in the first season,’ Pioli said. ‘Everyone was able to see a pretty significant improvement in the play of Glenn Dorsey in his second year. I’m making that statement because of some experiences I’ve had (in New England) with Richard Seymour. I remember how Richard played his rookie year. It was OK. Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork, all of those players were eventually very good players who had some difficulty in that first season.
‘Yes, it specifically has to do with the player, but it’s more big picture at the position.’
2017 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2017 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Mike Gillislee's Patriots Contract Offer Sheet Declined by Bills
- Malcolm Butler Reportedly 'Highly Unlikely' to Be Traded Despite Saints...
- Patriots Schedule 2017-18: Game-by-Game Predictions for the Entire Season
- 2017 New England Patriots Schedule: Full Listing of Dates, Times and TV...
- Chiefs vs. Patriots to Open 2017 NFL Regular Season Schedule in...
- Patriots Favored in Updated Super Bowl 52 Odds Ahead of 2017 NFL Draft
- After Aaron Hernandez Suicide, Victim's Family Speaks: 'I Just Started...