McCourty the pick for Patriots
|04.22.10 at 10:24 pm ET|
After trading down twice, the Patriots selected Rutgers cornerback Devin McCourty 27th overall. McCourty is a premier kick returner but doesn’t have great hands as a cornerback, though that generally comes with time for defensive backs i the NFL. McCourty had just six career interceptions in three years at Rutgers. The 5-foot-11, 6/8, 193-pound McCourty is described by DraftCountdown.com’s Scott Wright as having “great speed with a burst to close and recover.”
Analysis: I really like McCourty, but I don’t love the value of the pick. Unless they have a defensive end in mind for the second-round, this is a bit risky. I have said all along that cornerback should get early attention, but taking Jared Odrick, who went a pick later to the Dolphins, would have helped at a position of greater need.
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots Long Snapper, May Leave Team to Fulfill Navy Duty
- Scarnecchia Has Tall Task Developing Pats' Young Offensive Line
- What Are Explanations for Patriots' Failure to Address Hole at RB?
- Patriots: Way-Too-Early 53-Man Roster and Depth Chart Predictions
- Kraft Comments on Brady's Deflategate Suspension Being Upheld
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 3 Predictions
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 2 Predictions