McCourty the pick for Patriots
|04.22.10 at 10:24 pm ET|
After trading down twice, the Patriots selected Rutgers cornerback Devin McCourty 27th overall. McCourty is a premier kick returner but doesn’t have great hands as a cornerback, though that generally comes with time for defensive backs i the NFL. McCourty had just six career interceptions in three years at Rutgers. The 5-foot-11, 6/8, 193-pound McCourty is described by DraftCountdown.com’s Scott Wright as having “great speed with a burst to close and recover.”
Analysis: I really like McCourty, but I don’t love the value of the pick. Unless they have a defensive end in mind for the second-round, this is a bit risky. I have said all along that cornerback should get early attention, but taking Jared Odrick, who went a pick later to the Dolphins, would have helped at a position of greater need.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- New England Patriots: Full Position Breakdown and Depth Chart Analysis at...
- Pats Landed Disruptive Interior Lineman in Brown
- What to Expect from Patriots Defense
- Pats' Depth at CB Will Be Tested in 2015
- Pats Fan Has Last Words in Obituary
- Predicting Pats' 2015 Breakout Star
- Patriots' Player Reports and Analysis