Taylor Price analysis
|04.23.10 at 10:47 pm ET|
FOXBORO ‘ The Patriots‘ selection of Taylor Price with the 90th pick will, like all of their picks thus far, be met with some criticism, but they addressed a position of need with a player with good upside. A player who was expected to some to rise because of his size (6-foot, 204 pounds) and speed (4.41 40-yard dash at the combine, second-best among receivers), the Patriots got decent value with the pick.
Price is Ohio’s all-time leader in receptions with 149. His career totals in receiving yards (2,019) and touchdowns (14) rank second in the school’s history. A cornerback in high school at Hilliard Darby (OH), Price moved to receiver as a senior and wasn’t heavily recruited, but his production at Ohio earned him an invitation to the scouting combine, where he impressed.
Should the Patriots assume their problems at receiver are solved? In the past week they’ve added Torry Holt, who’s better days are behind him, and Price, who is considered to be an underdeveloped receiver with questionable hands. The Patriots are undoubtedly interested in what a healthy Brandon Tate will bring to the table as a No. 3 receiver, but the fact of the matter is that adding Price is adding another receiver with plenty of upside to the mix. They passed on the likes of Dez Bryant, Arrelious Benn, and Golden Tate at multiple points earlier in the draft, so the decision to bring in Price in the third round when top prospects at other positions remained on the board is certainly intriguing.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know
- Devin McCourty Comments on Decision to Skip White House Visit with Donald...