Report: Hernandez failed drug tests as a collegian
|04.27.10 at 1:03 am ET|
Tight end Aaron Hernandez failed “multiple drug tests” while playing for the University of Florida, according to a Boston.com story that quotes a league source. Hernandez, who was selected in the fourth round of the NFL draft by the Patriots, had been considered a second-round talent but apparently slipped down draft boards because of the failed tests. Hernandez did pass his drug test at the combine in February, the source said, which means he won’t be entered in to the league substance-abuse program.
Hernandez is a 6-foot-2, 250-pound tight end who led Florida in receptions last year with 68 catches for 850 yards and five touchdowns last season with the Gators. For his collegiate career, Hernandez had 111 catches for 1,382 yards and 12 touchdowns.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Free Agents That Need to Be on Patriots' Radar
- Why Big Changes Could Be Coming for Patriots at WR
- Super Bowl XXXVI: Reliving the Start of the Patriots Dynasty
- We Remember: Butler's Game-Winning in Super Bowl XLIX
- Patriots Must Focus on Bringing Balance to Offense This Offseason
- Pats Must Use 2016 Offseason to Prep for Big 2017 FA Class
- Glenn Gronkowski to Meet with Patriots During Senior Bowl