Patriots recognized as one of the most valuable “sports brands” in the world
|05.20.10 at 1:27 am ET|
In its latest issue, Forbes Magazine ranks the Patriots as the 10th most valuable sports team brand in the world. New England, the second-highest rated NFL team (trailing only the Cowboys) has an estimated ‘brand value’ of $156 million.
The magazine defines ‘brand value’ as ‘the portion of a team’s overall value that is derived from its name as opposed to its market and league,’ and used a formula where it added up revenues from sponsorships, naming rights, local media, tickets and merchandise that are not attributable to market demographics and league.
The No. 1 team is the Yankees, which have a brand value of $328 million. The legendary English soccer team Manchester United is second at $285 million and the Spanish soccer team Real Madrid is third with $240 million. (The Red Sox are ranked eighth overall with an overall brand value of $163 million.)
In placing them 10th overall, Forbes says of the Patriots, ‘The Pats, who’ve won three Super Bowls and five conference titles under the ownership of Bob Kraft, draw the highest local TV ratings among AFC teams in the 15 largest media markets in the U.S.’
This is not the first time Forbes has recognized the Patriots and Kraft: The franchise has consistently been in the Top 10 in the magazine’s annual assessment of the overall value of each NFL franchise ‘ in 2009, they were recognized by Forbes as the third-most valuable football team (trailing only the Cowboys and Redskins) with an estimated worth of $1.361 billion.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Biggest Needs New England Patriots Have Yet to Address This Offseason
- Super Bowl 49 Champion Bryan Stork Retires from NFL at 26 Years Old
- Tom Brady Super Bowl 51 Jersey Theft Timeline Revealed on Video
- Photos of Tom Brady's Previously Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Revealed
- New England Patriots: Updated Draft Big Board After First Wave of Free...
- Tyler Gaffney Released by New England Patriots
- Tom Brady Issues Statement on Recovery of Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey