Guyton gets two-year extension from Patriots
|06.24.10 at 11:42 am ET|
Patriots inside linebacker Gary Guyton has signed a two-year deal with a $650,000 signing bonus that will keep the Georgia Tech product in New England through 2011.
Guyton’s exclusive rights tender originally entitled him to one-year, $470,000 deal, but according to his agent Richard Kopelman, the Patriots were aggressive in making sure Guyton was able to stay with New England for more of an extended stretch.
“Gary and I are both extremely pleased with the situation, and the development in terms of a commitment to Gary,” Kopelman said. “As you know, they didn’t have to do this, but they have certainly shown the commitment that goes well above and beyond.”
A former undrafted free agent from Georgia Tech, Guyton made 85 tackles in 16 games during his second season with the Patriots. One of the fastest defenders on the team, he entered the league strictly as a pass-coverage specialist, but has since evolved into an every-down linebacker. He started every regular-season game last year (as well as the playoff loss to the Ravens), and was the centerpiece of the defense when fellow ILB (and close friend) Jerod Mayo went down with a knee injury last season. In all, Guyton was in the lineup for 83 percent of all defensive snaps in 2009.
“Gary has worked so hard since Day One,” Kopelman added. “He’s been a fantastic performer, both on and off the field. Any time you are rewarded for your efforts, that’s fantastic.”
Guyton was not available for comment, but may have dropped a hint that something like this was in the works two days ago, when on his Twitter feed, he hinted that he had to “handle some business.” In all, it’s been a good offseason for Guyton, who also received $350,000 in performance-based pay for his work in 2009.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Jacoby Brissett, Julian Edelman, LeGarrette Blount Post-Week 3 Fantasy...
- Despite Injuries, Patriots Already September's Biggest Winners in the NFL
- Houston Texans vs. New England Patriots Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL Pick