Kraft: Steinbrenner ‘moved the needle’
|07.14.10 at 1:01 am ET|
Patriots owner Robert Kraft said that George Steinbrenner ‘moved the needle’ when it came to getting creative in attempts to elevate the Yankees whenever possible, but acknowledged that Steinbrenner, who passed away Tuesday at the age of 80, may have overdone it at times.
In an interview with the Los Angeles Times, Kraft and a handful of other professional owners recalled Steinbrenner as a trailblazer who created a terrific business model with the Yankees, and advanced his teams’ brand in ways other franchises only dream about.
‘In some ways, George Steinbrenner moved the needle,’ Kraft said of Steinbrenner, a former college football coach. ‘But he also crossed the border at times. There’s a fine line there.’
Kraft spoke about a note he received from Steinbrenner back in 2002 when the Patriots won their first Super Bowl.
‘It was the nicest letter, praising us for the turnaround and making the right personnel decisions, even when they weren’t the most popular decisions at the time,’ Kraft said. ‘We both want to win. We do things different, stylistically, but the bottom line is we want winners running the show.’
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scarnecchia Has Tall Task Developing Pats' Young Offensive Line
- What Are Explanations for Patriots' Failure to Address Hole at RB?
- Patriots: Way-Too-Early 53-Man Roster and Depth Chart Predictions
- Kraft Comments on Brady's Deflategate Suspension Being Upheld
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 3 Predictions
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 2 Predictions
- Patriots Draft Picks: Results, Analysis and Grades