NFL supplemental draft set for today
|07.15.10 at 11:57 am ET|
The NFL’s supplemental draft is scheduled for today, and there are four players eligible ‘ BYU running back Harvey Unga, Illinois defensive tackle Josh Price-Brent, Northwestern State running back Quentin Castille and Truman State wide receiver Vanness Emokpae.
The Patriots have never been active in the supplemental draft ‘ they’ve taken only taken two players since it began in 1977, wide receiver Chy Davidson from URI in 1981 and cornerback J’Juan Cherry from Arizona State in 1999. But if they do jump in this year, chances are good they’ll go after Unga ‘ New England was one of 20 teams at his workout last week in Provo.
The 6-foot, 237-pounder, who withdrew from BYU for a violation of the honor code, rushed for more than 1,000 yards in each of his first three seasons with the Cougars. For his collegiate career, he gained 3,455 yards and scored 36 touchdowns. Here’s some film on Unga:
The supplemental draft, an opportunity for players who missed the filing deadline for the NFL draft or because issues developed which affected their eligibility (such as athletic or disciplinary matters). Teams can bid on players, and the player is awarded to the team who bids the highest pick. As a result, you lose your pick in that same round in the draft the following year. Notable supplementary draftees include linebacker Brian Bosworth, quarterback Bernie Kosar and left tackle Jared Gaither.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...