Wilfork on D&H: Mankins ‘the best’ OL out there
|07.15.10 at 12:56 pm ET|
Patriots defensive lineman Vince Wilfork made an appearance on the Dale & Holley show Thursday (to listen click here), calling in from his home in Florida, where he’s been working out to get ready for preseason camp. “I’m going to be in tip-top shape come July 28, when I’ve got to report and get to work,” he said. “I’m on schedule, I’m on track, I’m looking good, I feel good.”
Talking about his contract negotiations leading up to his five-year, $40 million deal in early March, Wilfork said it was tough at times, but he always remained confident things would work out. “We kept a level head,” he said. “We knew it was going to clear up.”
Asked about Logan Mankins‘ contract dispute with the team, Wilfork said he respects the way the Patriots run their business, making sure the team is competitive every year. “You have to look at it from both sides,” he said. “That’s how I looked at it. I can’t say Logan is wrong or right. That’s not my judgment for him. Everybody’s situation is different. … Hopefully, that will get worked out soon. Hopefully, he’s still a teammate of mine, because I think he is the best offensive linemen out there. … He’s the real deal.”
Wilfork said he will remain a diehard Celtics fan despite his hometown team, the Miami Heat, loading up with stars for a run at a championship. “I’m one of the biggest [Celtics] fans there is, and I’m still with them,” he said. “It’s all good.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Anthony Johnson Released by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Jacoby Brissett, Julian Edelman, LeGarrette Blount Post-Week 3 Fantasy...
- Despite Injuries, Patriots Already September's Biggest Winners in the NFL