Source: Pats, Spikes agree on 4-year deal
|07.26.10 at 6:51 pm ET|
A league source has confirmed that Patriots second-round pick Brandon Spikes has agreed to a four-year deal worth just over $3.2 million, with a signing bonus of $960,000.
Spikes is the 11th member of New England’s 12-man draft class to agree to a deal, leaving only first-round pick Devin McCourty without a contract.
The 6-foot-3, 249-pound Spikes played inside as a collegian at Florida, and will likely occupy that spot at the next level as well. A first-team All-SEC selection each of the last three years, Spikes started 39 of his 47 games with the Gators, totaling 309 tackles, including 31.5 for a loss and 6.5 quarterback sacks.
In addition, he was accorded as one of the smarter linebackers in college football over the last few seasons, and served as the quarterback of the Florida defense.
‘Brandon Spikes is pretty much the middle of our defense like Tim Tebow was the center of our offense,’ Spikes’ college teammate Jermaine Cunningham said of the linebacker, who returned four interceptions for touchdowns in his college career. ‘He was the center of our defense. He goes out there, he’s quick and he holds the defense together.’
The news of Spikes’ signing was first reported by the Boston Herald.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Patriots OT Sebastian Vollmer Injury
- Latest Updates on Tom Brady's Thumb Injury
- Malcolm Mitchell Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Elbow
- Tom Brady Comments on Suspension, Decision to Drop Deflategate Appeal
- Latest Updates on Bryan Stork's Concussion
- Gronk Is Too Good to Be NFL's Highest-Paid TE
- Rob Gronkowski Contract: Latest News, Rumors on TE's Negotiations with...