Statement from Pats on signing of McCourty and release of Crable
|07.28.10 at 4:48 pm ET|
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. ‘ The New England Patriots announced today the signing of first-round draft choice CB Devin McCourty. Terms of the contract were not disclosed. In addition, the team announced that they have released LB Shawn Crable.
McCourty, a defensive back from Rutgers, was selected by the Patriots in the first round of the 2010 NFL Draft with the 27th selection overall.
McCourty, 5-10, 193 pounds, started the last 39 games of his college career at cornerback and recorded 238 tackles, two forced fumbles, five fumble recoveries and intercepted six passes with two returned for touchdowns. He also blocked seven kicks (six punts and one field goal), scored on a 98-yard kickoff return and recorded 49 special teams tackles.
Crable, 6-5, 250 pounds, was originally drafted by the Patriots in the third round of the 2008 NFL Draft out of Michigan. He was inactive for the first eight game of the 2008 season before finishing the year on injured reserve. He was injured during the preseason last year and spent the season on injured reserve.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Free Agents That Need to Be on Patriots' Radar
- Why Big Changes Could Be Coming for Patriots at WR
- Super Bowl XXXVI: Reliving the Start of the Patriots Dynasty
- We Remember: Butler's Game-Winning in Super Bowl XLIX
- Patriots Must Focus on Bringing Balance to Offense This Offseason
- Pats Must Use 2016 Offseason to Prep for Big 2017 FA Class
- Glenn Gronkowski to Meet with Patriots During Senior Bowl