Statement from Pats on signing of McCourty and release of Crable
|07.28.10 at 4:48 pm ET|
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. ‘ The New England Patriots announced today the signing of first-round draft choice CB Devin McCourty. Terms of the contract were not disclosed. In addition, the team announced that they have released LB Shawn Crable.
McCourty, a defensive back from Rutgers, was selected by the Patriots in the first round of the 2010 NFL Draft with the 27th selection overall.
McCourty, 5-10, 193 pounds, started the last 39 games of his college career at cornerback and recorded 238 tackles, two forced fumbles, five fumble recoveries and intercepted six passes with two returned for touchdowns. He also blocked seven kicks (six punts and one field goal), scored on a 98-yard kickoff return and recorded 49 special teams tackles.
Crable, 6-5, 250 pounds, was originally drafted by the Patriots in the third round of the 2008 NFL Draft out of Michigan. He was inactive for the first eight game of the 2008 season before finishing the year on injured reserve. He was injured during the preseason last year and spent the season on injured reserve.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dion Lewis Injury: Updates on Patriots RB's Recovery from Surgery
- Should Patriots Give Brissett Chance to Start Week 1?
- Robert Kraft Releases Statement on Brady Not Continuing Deflategate...
- Tom Brady Accepts Deflategate Suspension, Won't Appeal to Supreme Court
- Excited by Absence of Brady, Pats' Rivals Likely to Be Disappointed Again
- Simmons Accuses Stephen A. of Blasting Brady for the NFL
- Twitter Reacts to Brady's Denied Appeal