Belichick: Mankins ‘not under contract’
|07.29.10 at 10:31 am ET|
Patriots coach Bill Belichick spoke to the media Thursday morning as the team prepared to open training camp. Asked about disgruntled offensive lineman Logan Mankins, Belichick stated: “All the players that are here are under contract. Logan’s not under contract.”
Belichick addressed the release of linebacker Shawn Crable, who failed a team physical. “We didn’t feel like he was ready to compete and participate right now,” Belichick said of the 2008 third-round draft pick. The coach implied that Crable could eventually be brought back.
Receiver Wes Welker is on the active/PUP list, and Belichick said the final steps back from an ACL injury often are the toughest. “I think the last 10-20 percent of those injuries is the hardest to get back,” he said. “We’ll see how it goes.”
Belichick said he puts a high priority on the practices this time of year. “If you build a good base during training camp, it will usually carry over for the bulk of the year,” he said. “It’s hard to do individual technique [work] later in the season.”
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots DT Plans to Recruit Kevin Durant to Celtics
- Patriots Feature Formidable 3-Man Pass-Rush Rotation
- Patriots File Amicus Brief Supporting Brady's Deflategate Suspension...
- Deep Battle Brewing for Roster Spots at WR for Patriots
- Robert Kraft Comments on Handling of Tom Brady's Deflategate Suspension
- Freeney Would Add No Value to Patriots Defense
- Can Malcom Brown Make 2nd-Year Jump for Patriots?