Belichick: Mankins ‘not under contract’
|07.29.10 at 10:31 am ET|
Patriots coach Bill Belichick spoke to the media Thursday morning as the team prepared to open training camp. Asked about disgruntled offensive lineman Logan Mankins, Belichick stated: “All the players that are here are under contract. Logan’s not under contract.”
Belichick addressed the release of linebacker Shawn Crable, who failed a team physical. “We didn’t feel like he was ready to compete and participate right now,” Belichick said of the 2008 third-round draft pick. The coach implied that Crable could eventually be brought back.
Receiver Wes Welker is on the active/PUP list, and Belichick said the final steps back from an ACL injury often are the toughest. “I think the last 10-20 percent of those injuries is the hardest to get back,” he said. “We’ll see how it goes.”
Belichick said he puts a high priority on the practices this time of year. “If you build a good base during training camp, it will usually carry over for the bulk of the year,” he said. “It’s hard to do individual technique [work] later in the season.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know