Caserio taking different approach this camp
|08.02.10 at 5:29 pm ET|
FOXBORO ‘ During last year’s training camp, Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio was a ubiquitous presence on the field. Almost every day throughout camp, Caserio was on the field and interacting with the players ‘ especially the wide receivers ‘ as much as any one of the assistants coaches.
This year, it’s a different story ‘ through the first week, Caserio has spent most of his time standing on the fringes of the practice field and only occasionally engaging a member of the support staff. Instead, it’s been de facto offensive coordinator Billy O’Brien and wide receivers coach Chad O’Shea hanging out with the receivers.
Caserio said that because he’s been on the sidelines this season during camp, it doesn’t necessarily mean that his role within the franchise has changed.
‘That’s probably the biggest change, that I’m not on the field conducting the drills,’ he said. ‘I’d say there’s some interaction. I think it’s just looking at it from a different perspective, but the things that you’re looking for I wouldn’t say are too drastically different. The biggest thing is kind of that you see more of a big picture instead of one position that you’re focused on when you’re working on a day-to-day basis with them.’
Caserio, who is entering his third full season as New England’s director of player personnel, said removing himself from the drills helps when it comes to developing an understanding of ‘the big picture.’
‘Just like a player, I take the philosophy that the more you can learn [and] the more you can understand, the better off we’re all going to be,’ Caserio said.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Says He Hopes Martellus Bennett 'Breaks the Bank' in Free...
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...