Cannizzaro on D&C: Pats-Jets a toss-up
|08.04.10 at 8:59 am ET|
Mark Cannizzaro, who covers the Jets for the New York Post, joined the Dennis & Callahan show Wednesday morning to talk about the upcoming NFL season. To hear the interview, visit the Dennis & Callahan audio on demand page.
Cannizzaro said he doesn’t believe the hype that the Jets are the clear favorite to surpass the Patriots in the AFC East. “I don’t discount the Patriots at all,” Cannizzaro said. “I’m a believer in what [Bill] Belichick brings to the table in a big way. … I look at the Jets and Patriots as a toss-up. I don’t see either team having any kind of crazy advantage. I see a lot of things that equal each other out.”
Cannizzaro said cornerback Darrelle Revis‘ holdout isn’t hurting the Jets so much now, noting that Revis likely is home watching more film and working out harder than he would at camp. However, New York’s prospects for long-term success will be affected if the contract dispute is not resolved. “They will not go deep in the playoffs without Revis playing for them,” Cannizzaro said, adding, “I think it’s going to end up getting done, but the sides are miles apart.”
Cannizzaro said he spent some time with running back LaDanian Tomlinson this week and predicts the former Charger will play a key role for the Jets this season. “I think he’s going to be a big factor,” Cannizzaro said. “I think he’s going to have a pretty productive year,” especially catching passes out of the backfield. Added Cannizzaro: “LaDanian Tomlinson wants to rock, there’s no doubt about it. … I think he’s determined to make it hard for [offensive coordinator Brian] Schottenheimer not to have him in the backfield.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Griff Whalen to Patriots: Latest Contract Details, Comments and Reaction
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?