Cannizzaro on D&C: Pats-Jets a toss-up
|08.04.10 at 8:59 am ET|
Mark Cannizzaro, who covers the Jets for the New York Post, joined the Dennis & Callahan show Wednesday morning to talk about the upcoming NFL season. To hear the interview, visit the Dennis & Callahan audio on demand page.
Cannizzaro said he doesn’t believe the hype that the Jets are the clear favorite to surpass the Patriots in the AFC East. “I don’t discount the Patriots at all,” Cannizzaro said. “I’m a believer in what [Bill] Belichick brings to the table in a big way. … I look at the Jets and Patriots as a toss-up. I don’t see either team having any kind of crazy advantage. I see a lot of things that equal each other out.”
Cannizzaro said cornerback Darrelle Revis‘ holdout isn’t hurting the Jets so much now, noting that Revis likely is home watching more film and working out harder than he would at camp. However, New York’s prospects for long-term success will be affected if the contract dispute is not resolved. “They will not go deep in the playoffs without Revis playing for them,” Cannizzaro said, adding, “I think it’s going to end up getting done, but the sides are miles apart.”
Cannizzaro said he spent some time with running back LaDanian Tomlinson this week and predicts the former Charger will play a key role for the Jets this season. “I think he’s going to be a big factor,” Cannizzaro said. “I think he’s going to have a pretty productive year,” especially catching passes out of the backfield. Added Cannizzaro: “LaDanian Tomlinson wants to rock, there’s no doubt about it. … I think he’s determined to make it hard for [offensive coordinator Brian] Schottenheimer not to have him in the backfield.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned
- President Donald Trump to Host Patriots at White House on April 19
- Darrelle Revis Reportedly Expected to Return to Patriots If He Plays Next...
- Biggest Needs New England Patriots Have Yet to Address This Offseason
- Super Bowl 49 Champion Bryan Stork Retires from NFL at 26 Years Old
- Tom Brady Super Bowl 51 Jersey Theft Timeline Revealed on Video
- Photos of Tom Brady's Previously Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Revealed