Schefter on D&C: Brady deal ‘going to get done’
|08.06.10 at 2:28 pm ET|
ESPN football insider Adam Schefter took a break from his training camp bus tour to talk to the Dale & Holley show Friday afternoon. One of the first topics of conversation was the return of Wes Welker to Patriots practices after suffering what was thought to be a horrible knee injury in Week 17 of last season.
“He’s surprising everybody,” Schefter said. “Even today during [an interview], he said that the doctors told him it would be eight to nine months before he’s back on the field, before he could think about being back on the field. … The guy is an awfully tough football player, and what he’s done here has been remarkable.”
Schefter also addressed the contract negotiations between the Patriots and star quarterback Tom Brady. Many in New England are worried that it will take some time for a deal to be completed, if it even is completed. Schefter did not seem nearly as worried.
“I won’t answer specifically about when it’s going to get done. Let’s just say this: It’s going to get done,” he said.
Finally, on the topic of the very competitive AFC East division, Schefter was very noncommittal on choosing his preseason favorite, saying, “To me, when you look at the division, it won’t surprise me if the Jets win it. It won’t surprise me if the Dolphins win it. It won’t surprise me if the Patriots win it. It’s going to be a question of who stays the healthiest, who gets on a roll, gets some momentum and confidence going. It could be any of the three teams.”
Schefter noted that Jets coach Rex Ryan autographed the ESPN training camp tour bus, and after his name, Ryan wrote: “New York Jets, soon to be champs.” Schefter said Welker wrote a response when he autographed the bus Friday, but Schefter would not indicate what it said.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Predicting New England Patriots' 2017 Starters After 1st Wave of Free...
- Joe Mixon Reportedly Removed from Patriots' Draft Board Due to Assault...
- Roger Goodell to Attend Patriots Home Opener, 1st Foxboro Trip Since...
- Robert Kraft 'Would Love' for Darrelle Revis to Return to Patriots
- Ideal Second-Round Fits for New England Patriots in 2017 NFL Draft
- Robert Kraft Discusses Restricted Free-Agent Malcolm Butler's Contract...
- Tom Brady Told Robert Kraft He'd Like to Play 6-7 More NFL Seasons