Jerod Mayo on D&C: Keep an eye on Devin McCourty
|09.10.10 at 7:43 am ET|
Patriots linebacker Jerod Mayo joined the Dennis & Callahan show Friday morning to talk about team news heading into Sunday’s season-opener vs. the Bengals. To hear the interview, visit the Dennis & Callahan audio on demand page.
Mayo said he isn’t concerned about the team’s young players. “I think we have some guys that are willing to learn, that are willing to get better, that aren’t stuck in their ways,” he said. “Sometimes when you have older players, they get stuck in their ways, they think they know it all. These guys are very coachable. We’re getting better each and every day.”
Asked to name a player that will be a pleasant surprise this weekend, Mayo went with rookie cornerback Devin McCourty. “McCourty, he’s a studious guy,” Mayo said. “He has a big task on his hands this weekend. Any side that he lines up on, those guys have great wide receivers. Hopefully, he shows up Sunday and makes a lot of plays.”
Mayo said he wasn’t concerned that the Bengals receivers have a big height advantage. “Our DBs are pretty physical now. These guys really get in the face of receivers,” Mayo said. “It doesn’t matter the size. [The DBs] have long arms. Look at [Darius] Butler‘s arms. Look at McCourty’s arms. I think that will be an advantage for us.”
Asked about Tom Brady‘s new contract, Mayo said all the players have respect for the quarterback. “Tom’s a great guy. He’s been here a long time and done a lot for the organization. We’re all happy for him,” he said.
Mayo said the team was not concerned about Brady’s car accident Thursday morning. “We knew he was OK,” Mayo said. “When coach told us, we figured he was all right, because he didn’t really comment on it too much. But when we saw him, we were happy to have him back.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know
- Devin McCourty Comments on Decision to Skip White House Visit with Donald...