Welcome to Gillette: Pats vs. Bills
|09.26.10 at 9:51 am ET|
FOXBORO — Another mild day is on tap at Gillette Stadium as the 1-1 Patriots battle the 0-2 Bills in a game that figures to bring a sense of urgency for both teams for very different reasons.
Temperatures are expected in the upper 60s with partly cloudy skies and brisk breeze for the 1 p.m. ET kickoff.
Fresh from his catch that vaulted him to a perfect ’100′ score in EA Sports last week against the Jets, Randy Moss is featured on the cover of Patriots GAMEDAY today, making his one-handed grab against Darrelle Revis, not pictured.
The Patriots are desperate to bounce back from their second-half meltdown against the Jets while the Bills have already changed their quarterback, going with Harvard product Ryan Fitzpatrick in place of Trent Edwards.
Fitzpatrick against the Pats secondary is a matchup that bears close monitoring. Darius Butler could be replaced by Kyle Arrington at right corner while rookie Devin McCourty starts at left corner. Edwards is a receiver that was known to check down and go to his safe outlets whereas Fitzpatrick figures to take more deep shots.
Whether or not Bret Lockett is available to the Patriots is another matter altogether. Various sources confirmed to the WEEI.com his arrest early Saturday in Providence.
Some notes to keep in mind:
- The Patriots have beaten the Bills 13 straight times dating back to the infamous Lawyer Milloy game of Sept. 7, 2003, when the Patriots cut the popular safety the week before the season opener. The Bills came out and smoked the Patriots, 31-0, at Ralph Wilson Stadium. The Patriots would return the favor by the identical score in the season finale and cap off the season with the second of their three Super Bowl titles.
- The 13 straight wins against the Bills marks the longest streak against any team in Patriots history. They also have an 11-gamer against the Bills from Jan. 2, 1983 through Dec. 20, 1987.
- The Bills are 0-for-their-franchise at Gillette, losing all eight encounters, with their closest call coming last year in the Monday night season opener, falling 25-24 on a last-minute Tom Brady-to-Ben Watson hookup. The Patriots have won nine straight at home against Buffalo, dating back to a 16-13 overtime win in the 2000 season.
- The Patriots have 59 wins against the Bills lifetime, the most by the Pats against any NFL opponent. New England is 59-40-1 all-time against their old AFL rival.
- Brady is 15-1 against Buffalo. Additionally, he is 12-4 against the Jets and 10-6 against Miami and 2-0 against the Colts [in the AFC East]. All told, Brady is 39-11 against division opponents. Brady is trying to avoid losing consecutive games to AFC East teams for the second time in his career. The only time he has lost back-to-back games against division rivals came in 2006 when he dropped a Nov. 12 game to the Jets at Gillette, 17-14, and a 21-0 decision to the Dolphins in South Florida four weeks later.
2013 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2013 NFL DRAFT
- New England Patriots Links 6/19/13 - Patriots Dominate on First Down
- Police Searched Aaron Hernandez' Home For More than Two Hours
- Aaron Hernandez Questioned, Has Home Searched after Killing
- Report: Rob Gronkowski Back Surgery Completed and Successful
- Fantasy Outlook: Patriots RB Stevan Ridley
- The Top 20 Most Memorable Patriots Moments of 2012: Number 5
- New England Patriots Links 6/18/13 - Shane Vereen: Offense Has 'Sour...