Butler knows why he was benched
|09.29.10 at 1:19 pm ET|
Step one on Wednesday might have been seen as actually fessing up to his disastrous performance in Week 2 at the Meadowlands.
The Patriots right corner said he understood why he was benched on Sunday against the Buffalo Bills, one week after being targeted by Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez in a 28-14 loss in Week 2. Several times, Butler was in man coverage on Braylon Edwards, and the wide receiver burned him for five catches and a touchdown.
He was also in coverage on Dustin Keller, who had seven grabs for 115 yards and a score as Sanchez threw for 220 yards and three TDs.
“This is a production business, and if you’re not producing, you’re not going to be on the field on Sunday,” Butler said Wednesday. “I guess my play wasn’t up to par and I wasn’t on the field and that’s obviously where I want to be so I have to do whatever it takes to get back on there.”
Butler was replaced at right corner by Kyle Arrington on Sunday and didn’t appear in the Bills game until the second quarter.
Butler came in on nickel coverage and promptly allowed a nine-yard first-down reception to Roscoe Parrish to the Patriots 23 on 2nd-and-5.
He seemed to gather his bearings in the second half and played better. Whether that was good enough will likely be determined this week at practice.
“It was good because we got a win,” Butler said of the 38-30 slugfest. “Obviously, every player wants to be on the field every snap. That wasn’t the case on Sunday. But now I’m moving on to this week.
“I knew I wasn’t starting. The game played out how it played out how it played. l didn’t get too many plays. That’s how it happened.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Anthony Johnson Released by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Jacoby Brissett, Julian Edelman, LeGarrette Blount Post-Week 3 Fantasy...
- Despite Injuries, Patriots Already September's Biggest Winners in the NFL