Patriots place Stephen Gostkowski on IR
|11.10.10 at 11:26 am ET|
FOXBORO ‘ The Patriots have announced via their Twitter feed that they have placed kicker Stephen Gostkowski on season-ending injured reserve with a thigh injury. Gostkowski, a fourth-round pick of the Patriots in 2006, was injured last Sunday against the Browns.
To take his place, New England will sign free agent kicker Shayne Graham. Before this season, Graham, 32, kicked for Buffalo, Carolina and Cincinnati. He was 23-for-28 with the Bengals in 2009, and was most recently in New York, spending two days with the Giants when kicker Lawrence Tynes had an ankle injury.
“Anytime a team loses a player, it’s hard for a team to go through,” Graham said. “No one wants to see a player go down with injury, no matter how long the time is, especially a player the caliber of Stephen.
“He’s a great player and he’s done such a good job for this team. My goal is to come in here and perform at my best and perform well for the team and help us win games and help the team make all the goals they set for themselves.”
Following his release by the Bengals after their playoff loss to the Jets last January, Graham was picked up by Baltimore and then signed by the New York Giants, where he subbed for the injured Tynes for one game.
“I think the fact that I haven’t been on a team every game this year makes me a little hungry and makes me look forward to getting my career going on again and doing what I can to help this team win,” Graham said. “There’s always going to be speed bumps and you can control what you can control. My job is to play and I don’t make the decision as far as roster, so when things work out the way they do, you take the bumps as they come and control what you can control.”
“It’s definitely big shoes to fill but I feel that I’m going to be able to play my best and hopefully the team won’t skip a beat and hopefully the team won’t miss a beat.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned
- President Donald Trump to Host Patriots at White House on April 19
- Darrelle Revis Reportedly Expected to Return to Patriots If He Plays Next...
- Biggest Needs New England Patriots Have Yet to Address This Offseason
- Super Bowl 49 Champion Bryan Stork Retires from NFL at 26 Years Old
- Tom Brady Super Bowl 51 Jersey Theft Timeline Revealed on Video