Patriots place Stephen Gostkowski on IR
|11.10.10 at 11:26 am ET|
FOXBORO ‘ The Patriots have announced via their Twitter feed that they have placed kicker Stephen Gostkowski on season-ending injured reserve with a thigh injury. Gostkowski, a fourth-round pick of the Patriots in 2006, was injured last Sunday against the Browns.
To take his place, New England will sign free agent kicker Shayne Graham. Before this season, Graham, 32, kicked for Buffalo, Carolina and Cincinnati. He was 23-for-28 with the Bengals in 2009, and was most recently in New York, spending two days with the Giants when kicker Lawrence Tynes had an ankle injury.
“Anytime a team loses a player, it’s hard for a team to go through,” Graham said. “No one wants to see a player go down with injury, no matter how long the time is, especially a player the caliber of Stephen.
“He’s a great player and he’s done such a good job for this team. My goal is to come in here and perform at my best and perform well for the team and help us win games and help the team make all the goals they set for themselves.”
Following his release by the Bengals after their playoff loss to the Jets last January, Graham was picked up by Baltimore and then signed by the New York Giants, where he subbed for the injured Tynes for one game.
“I think the fact that I haven’t been on a team every game this year makes me a little hungry and makes me look forward to getting my career going on again and doing what I can to help this team win,” Graham said. “There’s always going to be speed bumps and you can control what you can control. My job is to play and I don’t make the decision as far as roster, so when things work out the way they do, you take the bumps as they come and control what you can control.”
“It’s definitely big shoes to fill but I feel that I’m going to be able to play my best and hopefully the team won’t skip a beat and hopefully the team won’t miss a beat.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know
- Devin McCourty Comments on Decision to Skip White House Visit with Donald...