Howard Cosell, Frank Gifford and Pats-Jets on MNF
|11.30.10 at 11:08 am ET|
FOXBORO — Everyone and their brother ‘ and sister ‘ is looking ahead to next Monday night at Gillette Stadium and the battle of the Patriots and Jets, a pair of 9-2 teams battling it out for supremacy in the AFC East and the AFC.
Six days prior, we thought a look back might be in order. It was Oct. 18, 1976, when the 3-2 Patriots battled the 1-4 Jets ‘ coached by Lou Holtz, believe it or not. The Patriots would go on to finish 11-3 only to lose out on the division to the Baltimore Colts. As a wild card, the Pats went out to Oakland and were done in by the Raiders, with a little help from referee Ben Dreith.
On this night at the old Schaefer Stadium on Route 1, the Chuck Fairbanks-led Patriots had their way with the Jets ‘ and a quarterback by the name of Joe Namath ‘ in a 41-7 rout.
So, while we all get lost in looking forward, let’s take a look back at another Monday night showdown between the Jets and Patriots in Foxboro, courtesy the folks at ABC.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Griff Whalen to Patriots: Latest Contract Details, Comments and Reaction
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?