Howard Cosell, Frank Gifford and Pats-Jets on MNF
|11.30.10 at 11:08 am ET|
FOXBORO — Everyone and their brother — and sister — is looking ahead to next Monday night at Gillette Stadium and the battle of the Patriots and Jets, a pair of 9-2 teams battling it out for supremacy in the AFC East and the AFC.
Six days prior, we thought a look back might be in order. It was Oct. 18, 1976, when the 3-2 Patriots battled the 1-4 Jets — coached by Lou Holtz, believe it or not. The Patriots would go on to finish 11-3 only to lose out on the division to the Baltimore Colts. As a wild card, the Pats went out to Oakland and were done in by the Raiders, with a little help from referee Ben Dreith.
On this night at the old Schaefer Stadium on Route 1, the Chuck Fairbanks-led Patriots had their way with the Jets — and a quarterback by the name of Joe Namath — in a 41-7 rout.
So, while we all get lost in looking forward, let’s take a look back at another Monday night showdown between the Jets and Patriots in Foxboro, courtesy the folks at ABC.
- New England Patriots Links 12/11/13 - Can Mental Toughness Overcome...
- No Lead, No Problem
- Patriots vs. Browns: By the Numbers
- Offensive Fallout: Touch Percentage
- Patriots vs. Ravens Flexed Out of Primetime for Week 16
- New England Patriots Links 12/10/13 - 'Next Man Up' Philosophy Faces...
- New England Patriots fans, take a deep breath and enjoy the ride