Bill Belichick: ‘Bad mistake’ on fake punt
|01.16.11 at 8:29 pm ET|
Trailing 7-3 late in the first half of their divisional round playoff game with the Jets, the Patriots called for a fake punt from their own 37-yard line. The snap went to the up-man, Pat Chung, who bobbled the snap and was stopped for no gain. The Jets took over with one minute, six seconds on the clock and proceeded to score a touchdown just before halftime to make it 14-3.
“We just made a bad mistake on the play,” Patriots coach Bill Belichick said. Asked if he meant the play-call or the execution Belichick said, “I’m not going into it.”
The seven points were crucial in the Patriots’ 28-21 loss, but it was far from the only big play that didn’t go their way. “We just didn’t play well,” Belichick said. “Didn’t coach well. Didn’t do anything well.”
- In the Mind of Destruction
- Patriots vs. Browns Final Score: Gronkowski Injured in Dramatic 27-26...
- Halftime: Patriots Struggle Again in 1st Half, Trail Browns 6-0
- Week 14 Game Thread: Patriots vs. Browns
- Patriots vs. Browns: Thompkins, Hoomanawanui Both Inactive
- Belichick on Ridley, Faulk, and Ozzie Newsome
- The Best Around