Bill Belichick: ‘Bad mistake’ on fake punt
|01.16.11 at 8:29 pm ET|
Trailing 7-3 late in the first half of their divisional round playoff game with the Jets, the Patriots called for a fake punt from their own 37-yard line. The snap went to the up-man, Pat Chung, who bobbled the snap and was stopped for no gain. The Jets took over with one minute, six seconds on the clock and proceeded to score a touchdown just before halftime to make it 14-3.
“We just made a bad mistake on the play,” Patriots coach Bill Belichick said. Asked if he meant the play-call or the execution Belichick said, “I’m not going into it.”
The seven points were crucial in the Patriots’ 28-21 loss, but it was far from the only big play that didn’t go their way. “We just didn’t play well,” Belichick said. “Didn’t coach well. Didn’t do anything well.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Tom Brady Comments on Friendship with President Donald Trump
- Even Patriots Haters Should Marvel at Historic Greatness of Brady and Co.
- Tom Brady, Bill Belichick Clinch Record 7th Super Bowl Appearance
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Ankle and Return
- Martellus Bennett Injury: Updates on Patriots TE's Knee, Ankle and Return
- Donald Trump Addresses Robert Kraft, Tom Brady at Campaign Donors Dinner
- Patriots' No-Name Defense Has Started Making a Name for Itself