Bill Belichick: ‘Bad mistake’ on fake punt
|01.16.11 at 8:29 pm ET|
Trailing 7-3 late in the first half of their divisional round playoff game with the Jets, the Patriots called for a fake punt from their own 37-yard line. The snap went to the up-man, Pat Chung, who bobbled the snap and was stopped for no gain. The Jets took over with one minute, six seconds on the clock and proceeded to score a touchdown just before halftime to make it 14-3.
“We just made a bad mistake on the play,” Patriots coach Bill Belichick said. Asked if he meant the play-call or the execution Belichick said, “I’m not going into it.”
The seven points were crucial in the Patriots’ 28-21 loss, but it was far from the only big play that didn’t go their way. “We just didn’t play well,” Belichick said. “Didn’t coach well. Didn’t do anything well.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Says He Hopes Martellus Bennett 'Breaks the Bank' in Free...
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...