Bill Belichick: ‘Bad mistake’ on fake punt
|01.16.11 at 8:29 pm ET|
Trailing 7-3 late in the first half of their divisional round playoff game with the Jets, the Patriots called for a fake punt from their own 37-yard line. The snap went to the up-man, Pat Chung, who bobbled the snap and was stopped for no gain. The Jets took over with one minute, six seconds on the clock and proceeded to score a touchdown just before halftime to make it 14-3.
“We just made a bad mistake on the play,” Patriots coach Bill Belichick said. Asked if he meant the play-call or the execution Belichick said, “I’m not going into it.”
The seven points were crucial in the Patriots’ 28-21 loss, but it was far from the only big play that didn’t go their way. “We just didn’t play well,” Belichick said. “Didn’t coach well. Didn’t do anything well.”
2017 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2017 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Mike Gillislee's Patriots Contract Offer Sheet Declined by Bills
- Malcolm Butler Reportedly 'Highly Unlikely' to Be Traded Despite Saints...
- Patriots Schedule 2017-18: Game-by-Game Predictions for the Entire Season
- 2017 New England Patriots Schedule: Full Listing of Dates, Times and TV...
- Chiefs vs. Patriots to Open 2017 NFL Regular Season Schedule in...
- Patriots Favored in Updated Super Bowl 52 Odds Ahead of 2017 NFL Draft
- After Aaron Hernandez Suicide, Victim's Family Speaks: 'I Just Started...