Marvin Lewis: Belichick too smart to sign Ochocinco
|01.24.11 at 6:15 pm ET|
Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis was asked by the Boston Herald on Monday if he thought the Patriots would make a play for free agent receiver Chad Ochocinco.
“Belichick’s smarter than that,” said Lewis, who coached Ochocinco in Cincinnati for the last eight seasons.
Ochocinco recently posted a Tweet about the possibility of coming to New England, calling a potential pairing of he and Belichick “epic.” Belichick has a long history with the controversial wideout, having worked him out as a draft prospect in 2001. Belichick talked about their relationship earlier in the 2010 season.
“I like Chad — I like him as a player. I like him as a person,” Belichick said. “I like his enthusiasm and the fun he has with football, and I like how he competes on the football field. I have a lot of respect for that.
“[We’re] an odd couple, but in the end I think we have a lot of things in common.”
2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2014 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Big of an Impact Will Easley Make for Pats?
- Patriots' Top Offseason Moves
- Assessing Every Patriots UDFA's Chances of Making the Roster
- Projecting Patriots' Roster Battles This Offseason
- Ranking Pats' Remaining Offseason Priorities
- Early Projections for Patriots' Final 53-Man Roster
- In-Depth Look at Each Pats Draft Pick