Patriots cornerback Devin McCourty finishes second in NFL DROY voting to Suh
|02.04.11 at 8:16 pm ET|
There’s no shame, however. At least McCourty got a vote ‘ in fact, McCourty, who finished the season with seven interceptions, was the only defensive rookie other than Suh to receive a single tally ‘ in fact the defensive back got two. Meanwhile, Suh nabbed 48 of the 50 votes, becoming the first Lion to grab the honor since Al Baker in 1978.
As for McCourty, he started all 16 games for the Patriots and finished the season with 82 tackles, one sack, two forced fumbles and 17 passes defensed. He tied for second in the NFL and led all rookies with seven interceptions on the season, recording four of them over three consecutive games (Weeks 11-13). The seven interceptions by a Patriots rookie are second only to the eight by Mike Haynes in 1976. In addition, he was named second-team All-Pro by the Associated Press.
‘Devin’s really been a consistent player for us all year, from the first rookie minicamp after the draft to all through the season,’ Patriots coach Bill Belichick said late in the 2010 season. ‘In the spring, spring workouts, training camp, preseason, he’s really the same guy every day ‘ very alert, attentive, very professional. You wouldn’t know he’s a rookie. He acts and prepares like he’s been doing it for five or six years.
‘He’s very attentive. He understands a lot of little things. When you give him a coaching point, he understands that it doesn’t apply to everything (and) it may only apply to one particular situation or one little thing. But when that comes up again, he’s usually on it. He’s made a lot of improvement.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots' No-Name Defense Has Started Making a Name for Itself
- Josh McDaniels to Return as Patriots OC: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Patriots Picked Perfect Time to Play Imperfect Football in Win over...
- Dion Lewis vs. Texans: Stats, Highlights and Reaction
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- In Better Shape Than Ever at Age 39: Here's How Tom Brady Does It
- NFL1000: Why New England's Defense Can Carry Belichick to Another Super...