NFL Draft’s potential Patriots: Miami CB Brandon Harris
|02.16.11 at 10:52 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2011 NFL draft.
Weight: 195 pounds
Achievements: Jim Thorpe Award semifinalist (2009, 2010), All-ACC second team (2010), All ACC first team (2009), Third team AP All-American (2009), All-ACC Academic (2008)
What he brings: Harris possesses a very good size-speed combination and broke up 25 passes over his sophomore and junior seasons. His success as a sophomore made quarterbacks less willing to throw his way in 2010, but if he were to join a stable of cornerbacks that already features proven players like Devin McCourty and Leigh Bodden, pro signal callers won’t have as much of a choice. He has plenty of experience to back up his physical measurements, as he played in every game of his college career, starting all but seven as a freshman.
Where the Patriots could get him: No. 17, 28 or 33
Notes: While it would be surprising to see the Patriots use an early pick on a cornerback for a third straight year, it wouldn’t necessarily be the wrong move. Darius Butler took a step back in his second professional season and Bodden is coming off a shoulder injury.
If the Patriots were to select Harris in the first round, he would be the second Miami defensive back they have selected in the first round since 2007 (Brandon Meriweather) and the third Miami defensive player they’ve taken in the first since 2004 (Vince Wilfork). The 2010 draft was an odd one in that no Hurricanes were selected until late in the third round, when the Saints grabbed tight end Jimmy Graham with the 95 overall pick.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...
- Marcus Cannon, Patriots Agree to New Contract: Latest Details and...
- Tom Brady Became 5th QB in NFL History to Throw for at Least 60,000 Yards
- Patriots vs. Jets: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Recovery from Back...
- Julian Edelman Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Foot and Return