Compared to other teams, how would the Patriots fare if there was a lockout?
|03.03.11 at 12:03 pm ET|
When compared to the other 31 teams, the Patriots are actually pretty well situated for the coming lockout, at least when it comes to the on-field product. While other teams with new GMs and coordinators will struggle because they won’t be allowed to meet with players and get teams ready for new systems, in New England, there’s relative continuity on the coaching staff. The biggest change anticipated for the 2011 season is the fact that Bill O’Brien was recently named offensive coordinator ‘ but he’s really been the OC in waiting for the last two seasons, so it’s not like the New England will be hamstrung when it comes to installing a new offensive system.
In contrast, there are teams who will likely have issues if there is a lockout. In an interesting piece for NBCSports.com, Gregg Rosenthal lists the 32 teams and the challenges that they will face if the clock strikes midnight on Thursday and there’s no new Collective Bargaining Agreement, with the Titans (new head coach, major quarterback problems), Broncos (new GM and new coach) and Browns (new coach and young quarterback) as the top 3 teams who will be the most hurt by the lockout and the fact that coaches and GMs will not be able to have contact with players. Rosenthal has the Patriots at No. 29, with only the Steelers, Packers and Colts better prepared for the lockout. Rosenthal says of New England: ‘The weirder the rules are, the more that creative front offices should thrive. The Patriots and other quick-thinking teams can better adapt and sniff out market inefficiencies.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned
- President Donald Trump to Host Patriots at White House on April 19
- Darrelle Revis Reportedly Expected to Return to Patriots If He Plays Next...
- Biggest Needs New England Patriots Have Yet to Address This Offseason
- Super Bowl 49 Champion Bryan Stork Retires from NFL at 26 Years Old
- Tom Brady Super Bowl 51 Jersey Theft Timeline Revealed on Video
- Photos of Tom Brady's Previously Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Revealed