Sources: Patriots will visit, work out Miami DL Allen Bailey this week
|03.08.11 at 8:56 pm ET|
According to multiple sources, Miami defensive lineman Allen Bailey has a meeting and workout with the Patriots scheduled for Wednesday and Thursday of this week.
Bailey is a 6-foot-3, 285-pounder who played defensive end and defensive tackle with the Hurricanes, and recorded 19 sacks in his college career, including seven as a senior. He recorded 31 tackles for a loss in with Miami, including 11 in 2010.
His physical measurables are off the charts ‘ he’s been timed at 4.77 in the 40, and has posted 27 reps on the bench at 285. As a result, many mock drafts have him as a possible late first-round or early second-round pick in next month’s draft, which would mean he could be available to New England with either the No. 28 or No. 33 overall pick.
In an interview at the NFL scouting combine last month, Bailey ‘ who stayed at Miami for all four years, playing 50 games, just two shy of Brandon Meriweather for most in school history ‘ talked a little but about his ability to play both defensive tackle and defensive end, as well as how the transition went as a collegian.
‘It was an adjustment. I’d played strictly outside the last three years, so it was an adjustment going inside,’ Bailey said, ‘[But] I got the swing of everything and adjusted pretty well.’
For what it’s worth, we profiled Bailey in our “Potential Patriots” series here. The fact that Bailey will be working out for New England comes on the heels of the news that Citadel defensive back Cortez Allen also has a workout scheduled with the Patriots on Wednesday.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Says He Hopes Martellus Bennett 'Breaks the Bank' in Free...
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...