Report: Brandon Meriweather was acting as peacemaker during shooting incident
|03.11.11 at 10:54 am ET|
A relative who wished to remain anonymous has told the Boston Globe that Patriots safety Brandon Meriweather was unarmed and acting as a peacemaker during a shooting incident in Apopka, Fla., on Feb. 28.
The relative told the newspaper that Meriweather had no reason to harm anyone and “wasn’t taking sides in the fight” because the two men involved — Quentin Taylor and Cedric Payne Jr. — were both his cousins.
Attorney John Morgan, who is representing Taylor and another victim, set off a frenzy Thursday when he told WEEI that the two men said Meriweather was the one who fired the gun.
In a statement Thursday, the Orange County Sheriff’s Office confirmed that Meriweather was present for the shooting, but that it was “not prepared at this time to characterize or disclose Mr. Meriweather’s status in this case, though we do seek to interview him.”
- Belichick on Ridley, Faulk, and Ozzie Newsome
- The Best Around
- New England Patriots Links 12/06/13 - Sunday Spotlight Will Have Pats'...
- Alfonzo Dennard's Sentence Extended
- New England Patriots resign WR Austin Collie
- New England Patriots Links 12/05/13 - Alfonzo Dennard to Find Out Legal...
- 2013 Week 13 Patriots Power Rankings