Kentucky wide receiver Chris Matthews has workout with Patriots on Wednesday
|03.15.11 at 3:36 pm ET|
The 6-foot-5, 219-pound Matthews ‘ who started two years for the Wildcats after transferring from Los Angeles Harbor College ‘ had 61 catches for 925 yards and nine touchdowns last season with Kentucky, including games where he went for 100-plus yards receiving against Florida (six catches, 114 yards, two touchdowns) and South Carolina (12 catches, 177 yards, one touchdown).
Matthews, who was not invited to the NFL scouting combine last month, had a positive experience at Kentucky’s Pro Day. With the Patriots as one of the 26 NFL teams in attendance, Matthews reportedly ran a 4.5, just off the ‘high 4.4’ he had set for a goal.
‘It was still good for me,’ Matthews told Kentucky.com after his workout. ‘Basically, I just want to prove that I’m an every-down receiver. I can do anything they want me to. I told them I can go inside or outside, motion or go down and block linebackers ‘ anybody who they want me to block. It’s a team thing. I’m just trying to do everything that I possibly can to help out a team when I get to that team.’
Matthews figures to be a late-round pickup, but one thing that could make Matthews appealing to the Patriots is that he finished with a sub-seven second time (6.89) in the 3-cone drill. The Patriots have traditionally targeted late-round receivers (Julian Edelman, Wes Welker, Deion Branch) who have excelled in similar agility drills.
Here’s video of Matthews performing at Kentucky’s Pro Day:
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Why Jamie Collins Is the New England Patriots' Most Important 2017 Free...
- Biggest Issues the Patriots Will Face in 2016 Season
- Super Bowl Odds: Patriots Betting Favorites Despite Brady Suspension
- Position Battles to Watch in Patriots Training Camp
- Does Brissett Have a Chance to Be Patriots Week 1 Starter?
- Brady Is Under Too Much Pressure, and It Could Crush Pats Dynasty
- Most Prominent Patriots on the Roster Bubble