Kentucky wide receiver Chris Matthews has workout with Patriots on Wednesday
|03.15.11 at 3:36 pm ET|
The 6-foot-5, 219-pound Matthews ‘ who started two years for the Wildcats after transferring from Los Angeles Harbor College ‘ had 61 catches for 925 yards and nine touchdowns last season with Kentucky, including games where he went for 100-plus yards receiving against Florida (six catches, 114 yards, two touchdowns) and South Carolina (12 catches, 177 yards, one touchdown).
Matthews, who was not invited to the NFL scouting combine last month, had a positive experience at Kentucky’s Pro Day. With the Patriots as one of the 26 NFL teams in attendance, Matthews reportedly ran a 4.5, just off the ‘high 4.4’ he had set for a goal.
‘It was still good for me,’ Matthews told Kentucky.com after his workout. ‘Basically, I just want to prove that I’m an every-down receiver. I can do anything they want me to. I told them I can go inside or outside, motion or go down and block linebackers ‘ anybody who they want me to block. It’s a team thing. I’m just trying to do everything that I possibly can to help out a team when I get to that team.’
Matthews figures to be a late-round pickup, but one thing that could make Matthews appealing to the Patriots is that he finished with a sub-seven second time (6.89) in the 3-cone drill. The Patriots have traditionally targeted late-round receivers (Julian Edelman, Wes Welker, Deion Branch) who have excelled in similar agility drills.
Here’s video of Matthews performing at Kentucky’s Pro Day:
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know
- Devin McCourty Comments on Decision to Skip White House Visit with Donald...
- Former Patriots, Miami CB Leonard Myers Dies at Age 38
- Tom Brady, Patriots Reportedly Have Mutual Interest in New Contract
- Jimmy Garoppolo Reportedly May Remain with Patriots Despite Trade Rumors