Report: Maryland WR Torrey Smith has workout with Patriots
|03.15.11 at 6:51 pm ET|
Maryland wide receiver Torrey Smith has already conducted a private workout with the Patriots, according to the National Football Post.
A world-class speedster, the 6-foot-1, 204-pounder out of Maryland caught 67 passes for 1,075 yards and 12 touchdowns last season with the Terps. Smith also has special teams skills ‘ as a sophomore, he broke his own record with 1,309 kickoff return yards (and 2,129 all-purpose yards), which included two kicks returned for touchdowns.
Like fellow Maryland wide receiver Darius Heyward-Bey ‘ who had off-the-charts speed the previous year at the combine ‘ Smith’s measureables at the combine drew raves. He ran the 40-yard dash between 4.37 and 4.41 seconds, and also finished wih a 41-inch vertical leap, a 10-foot-6 broad jump and 19 reps on the bench at 225 pounds.
Through the pre-draft process, Smith has reportedly been training with former Patriots wide receiver Donte Stallworth.
‘With Donte, he’s working hard,’ said Smith, who is projected by many to be a first-round pick. ‘When we were running our routes, he was telling us what to look for, whether we were getting out of our breaks fast enough, just real fundamental things.’
Oh, and he’s pretty good on the basketball court as well. Check out the video below:
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scarnecchia Has Tall Task Developing Pats' Young Offensive Line
- What Are Explanations for Patriots' Failure to Address Hole at RB?
- Patriots: Way-Too-Early 53-Man Roster and Depth Chart Predictions
- Kraft Comments on Brady's Deflategate Suspension Being Upheld
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 3 Predictions
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 2 Predictions
- Patriots Draft Picks: Results, Analysis and Grades