Report: Maryland WR Torrey Smith has workout with Patriots
|03.15.11 at 6:51 pm ET|
Maryland wide receiver Torrey Smith has already conducted a private workout with the Patriots, according to the National Football Post.
A world-class speedster, the 6-foot-1, 204-pounder out of Maryland caught 67 passes for 1,075 yards and 12 touchdowns last season with the Terps. Smith also has special teams skills ‘ as a sophomore, he broke his own record with 1,309 kickoff return yards (and 2,129 all-purpose yards), which included two kicks returned for touchdowns.
Like fellow Maryland wide receiver Darius Heyward-Bey ‘ who had off-the-charts speed the previous year at the combine ‘ Smith’s measureables at the combine drew raves. He ran the 40-yard dash between 4.37 and 4.41 seconds, and also finished wih a 41-inch vertical leap, a 10-foot-6 broad jump and 19 reps on the bench at 225 pounds.
Through the pre-draft process, Smith has reportedly been training with former Patriots wide receiver Donte Stallworth.
‘With Donte, he’s working hard,’ said Smith, who is projected by many to be a first-round pick. ‘When we were running our routes, he was telling us what to look for, whether we were getting out of our breaks fast enough, just real fundamental things.’
Oh, and he’s pretty good on the basketball court as well. Check out the video below:
2017 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2017 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Mike Gillislee's Patriots Contract Offer Sheet Declined by Bills
- Malcolm Butler Reportedly 'Highly Unlikely' to Be Traded Despite Saints...
- Patriots Schedule 2017-18: Game-by-Game Predictions for the Entire Season
- 2017 New England Patriots Schedule: Full Listing of Dates, Times and TV...
- Chiefs vs. Patriots to Open 2017 NFL Regular Season Schedule in...
- Patriots Favored in Updated Super Bowl 52 Odds Ahead of 2017 NFL Draft
- After Aaron Hernandez Suicide, Victim's Family Speaks: 'I Just Started...