|Report: Maryland WR Torrey Smith has workout with Patriots||03.15.11 at 6:51 pm ET|
Maryland wide receiver Torrey Smith has already conducted a private workout with the Patriots, according to the National Football Post.
A world-class speedster, the 6-foot-1, 204-pounder out of Maryland caught 67 passes for 1,075 yards and 12 touchdowns last season with the Terps. Smith also has special teams skills — as a sophomore, he broke his own record with 1,309 kickoff return yards (and 2,129 all-purpose yards), which included two kicks returned for touchdowns.
Like fellow Maryland wide receiver Darius Heyward-Bey — who had off-the-charts speed the previous year at the combine — Smith’s measureables at the combine drew raves. He ran the 40-yard dash between 4.37 and 4.41 seconds, and also finished wih a 41-inch vertical leap, a 10-foot-6 broad jump and 19 reps on the bench at 225 pounds.
Through the pre-draft process, Smith has reportedly been training with former Patriots wide receiver Donte Stallworth.
“With Donte, he’s working hard,” said Smith, who is projected by many to be a first-round pick. “When we were running our routes, he was telling us what to look for, whether we were getting out of our breaks fast enough, just real fundamental things.”
Oh, and he’s pretty good on the basketball court as well. Check out the video below:
2013 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2013 NFL DRAFT
- Patriots Claim OT Kevin Haslam; Waive R.J. Mattes
- Patriots Spend League High $140K In Guaranteed Money For UDFAs
- New England Patriots Links 5/22/13 - Talib: OTAs About 'Getting Down the...
- The Potential Importance Of Jake Ballard
- Four Missing From Second Day Of Patriots OTAs
- The Top 20 Most Memorable Patriots Moments of 2012: Number 8
- New England Patriots Links 5/21/13 - Watching for Early Signs of...