Virginia Tech RB Ryan Williams set for workout with Patriots
|03.15.11 at 1:19 pm ET|
Virginia Tech running back Ryan Williams told Foxsports.com that he has an upcoming workout with the Patriots. (The report was confirmed by WEEI.com.)
Williams, a 5-foot-10, 202-pounder, rushed for a school-record 1,655 yards as a freshman in 2009. However, he saw his numbers take a dip last season after missing four games because of a slightly torn right hamstring and gaining just 477 yards.
Williams said the decision to leave Virginia Tech after just two seasons was difficult one personally, but not from an on-field perspective ‘ the Hokies use a two-back system, and it’s unlikely that his draft stock could climb any higher, especially after 2,132 total rushing yards and 30 touchdowns in two seasons.
“The whole decision came down to what I felt was best for me ‘ this has been my dream since I was six years old. This is what I want to do in life, period,” said Williams, who is projected as a late first-round or early second-round pick. “I told my mom when I was eight that I just wanted to receive one check, and that was from the NFL. She laughed and said, ‘You’d best stay in school!’ That’s what I told her.
“Also, I didn’t want to come back into another two-back rotation system. That’s what the coaches told me they were going to do, because it worked so well for them. I had to be honest ‘ I had to be stingy. In a two-back rotation, I might drop some more, because you’re not getting into the flow of the game. Getting just five to ten carries a game doesn’t help you that much.”
For more on Williams, we profiled him as part of our “Potential Patriots” series.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know