Report: Tom Brady disciple Greg McElroy tops list of QB Wonderlic scores
|03.17.11 at 10:12 am ET|
Alabama’s Greg McElroy finished with the highest Wonderlic score of any quarterback in this year’s draft class, according to ESPN’s Chris Mortensen.
McElroy finished with a 43 out of 50. Missouri’s Blaine Gabbert had a 42, and Florida State quarterback Christian Ponder rounded out the top 3 with a 35. As for the rest of the group, Iowa’s Ricky Stanzi (30), TCU’s Andy Dalton (29) finished fourth and fifth, respectively. The rest of the field looked like this: Arkansas’ Ryan Mallett had a 26, while Auburn’s Cam Newton scored a 21 and Washington’s Jake Locker ended up with a 20.
The 6-foot-2, 220-pound McElroy talked last month about wanting to get the chance to back up Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, saying the New England signal-caller was someone he wanted to emulate at the next level.
‘He’s the most fun guy to watch in the league right now,’ McElroy said of Brady. ‘There’s a lot of efficient quarterbacks, but as far as his control, his balance, the way he sets up in the pocket, the way he is so mechanically sound, it really is such a joy to watch. It really is such a joy to watch. He’s so fluid. He never gets flustered. Just his subtle movements, all of his subtleties, every little detail is addressed.
‘Coach [Nick] Saban would never let me watch another quarterback play. He thinks that’s soft or something, but yeah, I obviously have spent time watching Tom Brady. He’s a hero of mine and a guy who I would love nothing more than to try to pattern my game off of.’
For what it’s worth, Brady’s Wonderlic score was a 33. Among current NFL quarterbacks, Buffalo’s Ryan Fitzpatrick ‘ a Harvard product ‘ is tops with a 48. Alex Smith (40), Eli Manning (39) Matt Stafford (38) and Tony Romo (37) round out the Top 5.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- The Redemption of Josh McDaniels: Failure Taught Pats OC How to Pick His...
- Julian Edelman Comments on His Role Against Bills in Week 4
- Anthony Johnson Released by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England