Sources: Patriots expressing serious interest in USF DT Terrell McClain
|03.18.11 at 2:42 pm ET|
Two league sources confirm the Patriots have expressed serious interest in defensive tackle Terrell McClain, a 6-foot-2, 297-pounder out of South Florida. McClain, who was first-team All-BIG EAST as a senior, started 24 games over his final two seasons as a collegian, and finished his college career with 7.5 sacks.
Known as a penetrating defensive tackle with some positional versatility, he had a great performance at the East-West Shrine Game in Orlando, where he was considered one of the game’s better defensive line prospects. (Some believe it was his performance at this game that led to a late invite to the Senior Bowl.) Considered a mid- to late-round selection, McClain has posted a 40 time of 4.98 and 29 reps of 225 pounds in the bench press.
‘When you look at him physically, I think probably measurable-wise [McClain’s] one of our best draft candidates,’ USF coach Skip Holtz told Tampabay.com late in the 2010 season. ‘When you look at his height, weight, speed, athleticism, the level of play he’s playing at, I think he’s doing a great job. I think Terrell has such great athleticism up front, with what he’s able to do moving around, creating some havoc and getting penetration ‘¦ as I sit down and watch him, I think he’s the complete package.’
South Florida’s Pro Day is scheduled for March 24.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...