Sources: Patriots expressing serious interest in USF DT Terrell McClain
|03.18.11 at 2:42 pm ET|
Two league sources confirm the Patriots have expressed serious interest in defensive tackle Terrell McClain, a 6-foot-2, 297-pounder out of South Florida. McClain, who was first-team All-BIG EAST as a senior, started 24 games over his final two seasons as a collegian, and finished his college career with 7.5 sacks.
Known as a penetrating defensive tackle with some positional versatility, he had a great performance at the East-West Shrine Game in Orlando, where he was considered one of the game’s better defensive line prospects. (Some believe it was his performance at this game that led to a late invite to the Senior Bowl.) Considered a mid- to late-round selection, McClain has posted a 40 time of 4.98 and 29 reps of 225 pounds in the bench press.
‘When you look at him physically, I think probably measurable-wise [McClain’s] one of our best draft candidates,’ USF coach Skip Holtz told Tampabay.com late in the 2010 season. ‘When you look at his height, weight, speed, athleticism, the level of play he’s playing at, I think he’s doing a great job. I think Terrell has such great athleticism up front, with what he’s able to do moving around, creating some havoc and getting penetration ‘¦ as I sit down and watch him, I think he’s the complete package.’
South Florida’s Pro Day is scheduled for March 24.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Garoppolo Comments on Opportunity to Start for Patriots
- Dion Lewis Injury: Updates on Patriots RB's Recovery from Surgery
- Should Patriots Give Brissett Chance to Start Week 1?
- Robert Kraft Releases Statement on Brady Not Continuing Deflategate...
- Tom Brady Accepts Deflategate Suspension, Won't Appeal to Supreme Court
- Excited by Absence of Brady, Pats' Rivals Likely to Be Disappointed Again
- Simmons Accuses Stephen A. of Blasting Brady for the NFL