Sources: Patriots expressing serious interest in USF DT Terrell McClain
|03.18.11 at 2:42 pm ET|
Two league sources confirm the Patriots have expressed serious interest in defensive tackle Terrell McClain, a 6-foot-2, 297-pounder out of South Florida. McClain, who was first-team All-BIG EAST as a senior, started 24 games over his final two seasons as a collegian, and finished his college career with 7.5 sacks.
Known as a penetrating defensive tackle with some positional versatility, he had a great performance at the East-West Shrine Game in Orlando, where he was considered one of the game’s better defensive line prospects. (Some believe it was his performance at this game that led to a late invite to the Senior Bowl.) Considered a mid- to late-round selection, McClain has posted a 40 time of 4.98 and 29 reps of 225 pounds in the bench press.
‘When you look at him physically, I think probably measurable-wise [McClain’s] one of our best draft candidates,’ USF coach Skip Holtz told Tampabay.com late in the 2010 season. ‘When you look at his height, weight, speed, athleticism, the level of play he’s playing at, I think he’s doing a great job. I think Terrell has such great athleticism up front, with what he’s able to do moving around, creating some havoc and getting penetration ‘¦ as I sit down and watch him, I think he’s the complete package.’
South Florida’s Pro Day is scheduled for March 24.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Anthony Johnson Released by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Jacoby Brissett, Julian Edelman, LeGarrette Blount Post-Week 3 Fantasy...
- Despite Injuries, Patriots Already September's Biggest Winners in the NFL