Trade Deadline: Yankees interested in Padres’ bullpen arms
|07.05.11 at 12:52 pm ET|
The Yankees bullpen was hurting when Joba Chamberlain (Tommy John surgery) and Rafael Soriano (elbow injury) both were sent to the disabled list long-term. Although the injury isn’t considered serious, Mariano Rivera also gave the team a scare when he became unavailable to pitch Monday night with sore triceps.
Without any other big-name reliever outside of perhaps David Robertson, those kinds of maladies have the Yankees scrambling for potential stopgaps in their pen, and they seem to be looking to San Diego’s wealth of weapons in the bullpen as a potential solution, according to FOXSports.com.
Closer Heath Bell (2.50 ERA, NL-best 25 saves) seems to be one of the hot names on the trade market, but the report also throws Padres right-handed reliever Mike Adams (1.17 ERA, 0.65 WHIP) into the discussion of potential New York targets because of his ability to get lefties out (.468 OPS against). New York only has Boone Logan as a lefty in its bullpen right now.
However, Ken Rosenthal notes that San Diego would only part with Adams if they receive “an extraordinary offer.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- SoxProspects Staff Announcement: Promotions and new hires!
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday