NFL owners approve changes in kickoffs
|03.22.11 at 2:10 pm ET|
NFL owners voted Tuesday to move kickoffs to the 35-yard line instead of the 30, but keep touchbacks coming out to the 20. In addition, owners also have decided to allow the number of players in a blocking wedge to remain at two.
Prior to Tuesday’s vote, the league’s competition committee proposed placing the ball at the 25 after touchbacks on kickoffs and banning the wedge altogether.
Several coaches expressed concern about making too many changes to kickoffs, saying bringing touchbacks out five more yards would affect field position too much. Coaches also worried about an increase in touchbacks.
Owners voted to make all scoring plays reviewable by the replay official and referee.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Says He Hopes Martellus Bennett 'Breaks the Bank' in Free...
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...