NFL owners approve changes in kickoffs
|03.22.11 at 2:10 pm ET|
NFL owners voted Tuesday to move kickoffs to the 35-yard line instead of the 30, but keep touchbacks coming out to the 20. In addition, owners also have decided to allow the number of players in a blocking wedge to remain at two.
Prior to Tuesday’s vote, the league’s competition committee proposed placing the ball at the 25 after touchbacks on kickoffs and banning the wedge altogether.
Several coaches expressed concern about making too many changes to kickoffs, saying bringing touchbacks out five more yards would affect field position too much. Coaches also worried about an increase in touchbacks.
Owners voted to make all scoring plays reviewable by the replay official and referee.
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots Draft Picks: Results, Analysis and Grades
- Why the 1st Round of the 2016 NFL Draft Still Matters to Patriots
- Patriots Last-Minute 7-Round Mock Draft and Top-100 Big Board
- What Are the Patriots' Long-Term Needs?
- Patriots Draft Guide and Preview
- Super Bowl LI Odds: Brady Suspension Equals Uncertainty for Pats
- Gronk Reveals the Secret to Tinder Success